This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

help Adding anti-freeze to tires

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar
Circle of Safety: Y

help Adding anti-freeze to tires

Postby BullDAWG » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:20 pm

I want to fill my back tires with antifreeze and I have the hose to tire air chuck (valve) adapter but was wondering if it needs to be pressurized like a water hose filling with water would be? Should I jack up the side to fill with the valve up ( 12 o'clock position) and add the adapter and hose and then add a funnel to the hose and pour a gallon of antifreeze at a time till it is at the top of rim (I know I must leave some air space - the air above top of rim to the valve). Will that work or does the antifreeze need to be pumped somehow and if so HOW ???
Attachments
gem-tech-tire-liquid-7k.jpg
gem-tech-tire-liquid-7k.jpg (13.25 KiB) Viewed 608 times
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Re: help Adding anti-freeze to tires

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:25 pm

I use a 12 volt pump.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08876
Tractors Owned: 1953 F-Cub
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200

Postby NJ Farmer » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:43 pm

I'll be quiet honest do you really need that kind of weight to your tractor. Second point and I have seen this first hand....do you really want a liquid sitting months and months to years and years on steel??? I can tell you the outcome isn't pretty. If would want (or need) the extra just pick up some wheel weights which are fairly cheap. This will preserve your rims for years to come. Just a thought but I think this style of adding weight never made much sense to me.

NJ Farmer

snoman7c
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15909
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub

Postby snoman7c » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:45 pm

There are numerous posts on You Tube that explain how to do that task. I saw some people use windshield washer fluid! Alot cheaper than antifreeze! :-:-):

Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28479

Postby Clip » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:04 pm

NJ Farmer wrote:I'll be quiet honest do you really need that kind of weight to your tractor. Second point and I have seen this first hand....do you really want a liquid sitting months and months to years and years on steel??? I can tell you the outcome isn't pretty. If would want (or need) the extra just pick up some wheel weights which are fairly cheap. This will preserve your rims for years to come. Just a thought but I think this style of adding weight never made much sense to me.

NJ Farmer

Loaded tires makes sense to me, provided tubes are in good shape and proper precautions and procedures are followed when filling. Also, when the correct fluid is used (Rimguard), corrosion and environmental risks are minimized. I'd load mine if I could find a dealer close by.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:10 am

NJ Farmer wrote:I'll be quiet honest do you really need that kind of weight to your tractor. Second point and I have seen this first hand....do you really want a liquid sitting months and months to years and years on steel??? I can tell you the outcome isn't pretty. If would want (or need) the extra just pick up some wheel weights which are fairly cheap. This will preserve your rims for years to come. Just a thought but I think this style of adding weight never made much sense to me.

NJ Farmer

If you ever farmed with any tractor you would know why the rear tires and sometimes the front need fluid in them
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08876
Tractors Owned: 1953 F-Cub
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200

Postby NJ Farmer » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:31 am

I never really considered a 10 HP tractor a real FARM tractor! My point is that you are loading down a underpowered tractor with extra weight. Also when those tube start to go so will your rims down the road.

I raise the white flag on this one because it is like saying a Chevy Truck is better than a Ford Truck and I don't mean to offend any fellow members.....

NJ Farmer

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:06 am

[b][/b]
NJ Farmer wrote:I never really considered a 10 HP tractor a real FARM tractor! My point is that you are loading down a underpowered tractor with extra weight. Also when those tube start to go so will your rims down the road.

I raise the white flag on this one because it is like saying a Chevy Truck is better than a Ford Truck and I don't mean to offend any fellow members.....

NJ Farmer

It was designed for up to 40 acres, so I guess the engineers disagree with you.

Antifreeze doesn't corrode rims, like calcium chloride does. When was the last time it ate the freeze plugs out of your car engine?
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:24 am

NJ Farmer wrote:I never really considered a 10 HP tractor a real FARM tractor! My point is that you are loading down a underpowered tractor with extra weight. Also when those tube start to go so will your rims down the road.

NJ Farmer
I don't believe you are offending anyone. Some people just have different opinions and there is nothing wrong with a difference of opinion. That doesn't mean we have to shut down the forum and furlough all nonessential posters till we pass a temporary tire fluid agreement. :D :lol: For example, I don't think tubes "starting to go" is even a consideration. I have broken down tires with tubes that are older than I am and the tubes looked brand new. Now if you would have said when you run over thorns and get a flat......I'd be in your corner wholeheartedly :D Which is my main reason for NOT using fluid in tires, having to fix a flat. With fluid it is a more complicated process that, depending on the fluid, may need to be done immediately to prevent further damage. I can keep airing up a slow leaker for a long time with no further damage. I can also add or remove weights a lot faster than adding or removing fluid. I know there are those that will argue that the fluid weight is better placed or some such nonsense. I personally don't buy into that theory, to me weight is weight. Both types of weights are in a circle centered on the axle, whether it's encased in rubber or red paint it's still weight.

I also don't consider a Cub a "real farm tractor". To me that's an H or M. To a lot of people those aren't big enough to be "real farm tractors" either. It all depends on your perspective.

That's my opinion for what it's worth. :D

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:09 am

Having run tractors both ways for many years, there is a difference between iron and water weight. Air filled tires "bounce" more, water filled hook up better with the ground. Our Cub was delivered with water and weights and can still spin the wheels. Like Scrivet says, it all depends on your situation. I built a device to put antifreeze in the tire using an old propane tank (20lb.),manifold, ball valve and tire filling tool. Fill with anti freeze, charge with air, turn upside down and blow solution into tire. Top off with garden hose and check pressure. If anyone wants a picture pm me, can't post pix on forum from phone.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:20 am

I'd go back to the mule, but its so hot up here all the corn in the field popped and the mule thought it was snow and froze to death…..Sooooooh, I have to use my Cub with loaded tires to plow…. :lol: :lol: Dave
In Memory of 58,286

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:34 am

Don't forget, use antifreeze solution if you are where it freezes, only water is ok so long as it is not driven in below freezing temperatures. Driving a tire with ice in it results in the tire cords breaking at the top of the ice, and does not take long. It will look like one that has set flat for several years, if you have ever seen that.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:03 pm

There are various methods for pumping fluid into tires. We've always used an old washing machine pump.

Whatever you use you have to stop periodically and let the air pressure that builds up, out.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:23 pm

I have a pair of very nice GoodYear tires on my Lo Boy. They are 'loaded', likely with calcium chloride. I believe that the weight of the liquid lowers the center of gravity over cast iron wheel weights. They are aftermarket rims so likely the originals rusted out from a leak.

Unless the Cub was originally sold for mowing you will find there was weights on all 4 rims. They may have been removed, but I bet the Cub was bought that way if it was used for 'farming'. Traction is a good thing.

I thought the rough ride was RI roads..... some of the side streets I take to get to the fort are more 'patch' than road, but I know most of the recently paved ones having done that route for a few years now.

I also have 150# of front weights on the Lo Boy. Even then it can still do wheelies, especially with a disc harrow on the fast hitch.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28479

Postby Clip » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:25 pm

Underpowered?!? Hey!

:D :D

Return to “Farmall Cub”