This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine rebuild 1949 Cub.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Engine rebuild 1949 Cub.

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:39 am

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Sailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42261
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
Ser.# 16812
1938 Farmall F-14
Ser# 131806

Postby Sailor » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:43 pm

To of the page where it says Rudi's Manuals. Your Cub should have a plaque near the front, right side that will give you the serial number, that will give you the year it was made.

I had my engine apart because it smoked, all it needed was rings and the cylinders de-glazed. That's why others told you it would be to your benefit to ask questions before you hauled it off to a machine shop.

Lots of information available here, with the members and free manual downloads.

Welcome to the forum.

Larry
1948 Cub
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grading Blade
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cub-189 Moldboard Plow (direct-Connected, One Bottom, Two-way)
Woods 59 Mower

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar

Postby BullDAWG » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:03 pm

Don McCombs wrote:http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%20Ribbon%20Service%20Manuals/GSS-1411%20Service%20Manual%20for%20Cubs%20and%20Lo-boy%20Tractors/index.html

and also if you look above in the light blue banner on the last line click on the "PDF Manuals" as there are TONS of manuals on not only cubs but other farmall tractors, implements such as cultivators, planters, sickle mowers, belly mowers, discs and plows... You might be supprised at all the things that fit on that cub or Super A lol...
Also from what I read they were not trying to make fun of you, but we do joke around here and when something that sounds funny (either haha or the strange/odd type funny) we are going to say something about it and try to find out if it was a typo or you might have even been told that small tractor was a cub but was actually a Case 444 or something, so hopefully if I say something like that you won't think I'm bashing you or anyone as I have both ben the person saying something funny and the butt of the joke too... But know that if someone was bashing you they would NOT let it go on and would probably remove the comments or even kick that person out of here... But we all try to have fun and keep it light so hopefully you get her goin and don't end up spending $3000 on a cub that you could have bought running with equipment for less...
You might be surprised how much just cleaning some parts and a can of sea-foam n marvels mystery oil will do... as stated check clearances and you might just need hone n new gaskets n rings.... (this is from someone who owned a machine shop )
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

Flyboy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 80421

Postby Flyboy » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:57 pm

Not buying any parts yet. Got Pistons 1,3, and 4 out fairly easily. Rod bearing all looked great according to two of my mechanic buddies. Piston rings on all three looked fine. Piston number 2 was pretty stuck, but did come out with some persuasion. The cylinder walls look good with no discernible ridges at the top.

It appears that water came down the jury rigged exhaust over the years and found a home in cylinder 2. Everything from the tappets down was free of rust an looked good. The service manual said that the stamped number on the connecting rods would be on the side toward the cam, but every one of mine was away from the cam. Not sure if the engine has been apart since new due to this discovery. The stamped numbers look factory according to my friends.

At least one of the piston tops had a number stamped into it. Should they have an arrow or some other indication of orientation for installation? They are carbon covered and I did not have time to clean them up to look.

Can I buy just one piston, or do they only come in sets? They are described as gray metal in the service manual, and were ferrous when tested with a magnet.

Flyboy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Flyboy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:04 am

The valves are moving, but sticky. They will need to be removed and cleaned up to see what needs to be done there. My buddy said an in frame rebuild might be possible, but we need to get the valves out to see if they can be cleaned up and if the valve guides need to be replaced.

What material are the guides made of? Any secrets to getting them out if they need to be removed?

Any advice on tools for removing the valve springs and tips on how to do it?

Flyboy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Flyboy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:14 am

Hey guys, I over reacted about the post way up above. I'm over it and realize it was just some humor between friends. I participate in a few other forums and the people can be rather vicious occasionally.

I appreciate the concern that some of you have expressed about me jumping into the buying parts for my tractor. I am trying to do this intelligently, and fortunately have two friends with almost 50 years of line maintenance experience looking at this with me. The answers about what I will need to do, will come after I get the valves out of the block. Both if my friends were amazed at the condition in the lower half of the engine. I thank you for the help and advice. I will keep you posted on the progress and am certain that there will be many more questions to come.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:54 am

Flyboy wrote:The valves are moving, but sticky. They will need to be removed and cleaned up to see what needs to be done there. My buddy said an in frame rebuild might be possible, but we need to get the valves out to see if they can be cleaned up and if the valve guides need to be replaced.

What material are the guides made of? Any secrets to getting them out if they need to be removed?

Any advice on tools for removing the valve springs and tips on how to do it?

Sticky valves can usually be freed up by soaking with liberal doses of penetrant lube like PB BLASTER or equal, when the valves are open, allowing it to run down the stem as well as lubing them from below as you turn with a hand crank. A more important and greater concern is the condition of the seats and sealing surfaces of the valves. You will probably only encounter a problem with the exhausts as they are the only ones to burn if not seated properly. Not sure of the material of construction on the guides but they have to be pressed out. Someone posted about this a few months ago, you may be able to use the SEARCH FEATURE and find it. There is a special tool made to compress the springs to be able to remove the keepers which are held in a slot on the stem by the spring tension. They are a bit difficult to do unless you have nimble fingers. Unless the guides are worn really bad, you won't have a problem with oil loss since this is a splash lube area. The service manual should have a spec on wear for the guides. TIP: Before removing the keepers, cover the drain holes by the tappets or you might have to retreave some of them from the oil pan.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:48 pm

The early factory pistons were cast iron flat tops. In 1968, they changed to aluminum pop-ups. Tough to beat the cast iron for longevity. You should be able to find a decent used piston that is serviceable. The factory only supplies pop-ups at this point. The numbers on the rods do face the cam, so somebody was in there. Pay close attention to the bearing fit on the #1 rod. That is the last one in the oil gallery and usually the first to suffer.

Flyboy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Flyboy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:03 pm

Got all the valves out. It appears that the valve seats are inserts, but I don't see that in the service manual. I am wondering if they used to put inserts in if the valve seat was too worn to machine down to spec. Has anyone seen this before?

I would post pictures, but I don't know how to reduce the file size under a meg so I can put it up on the forum.

What is the diameter of the valve stems?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:59 pm

The original valve seats were just milled into the block. If it has inserts there has been some serious work done already.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Flyboy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Flyboy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:48 am

Pulling the crank and camshaft today and then heading to the machine shop to get an opinion on whether work can be done or not.

On another point, called the tire place yesterday and they told me 8 x 24 is an obsolete tire and no longer made. Said that 9.5 x 24 is the replacement tire. Any comments on that?

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:54 am

Flyboy wrote:... On another point, called the tire place yesterday and they told me 8 x 24 is an obsolete tire and no longer made. Said that 9.5 x 24 is the replacement tire. Any comments on that?

8.3 x 24 is a common replacement tire, however, I prefer the 9.5 x 24.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Flyboy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Flyboy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:05 am

Bill, I was browsing the service manual and see that there is a tool required to pull the fan pulley (FS 33-1). Can someone shoot me a quick diagram of the tool, with dimensions. It looks like a square piece of steel with (I presume) a slot that allows it to be slipped in behind the pulley. I am going to try to build that tool when I get back from the parts house, so I can get the block stripped and head over to the machine shop.

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:21 am

Flyboy wrote:Bill, I was browsing the service manual and see that there is a tool required to pull the fan pulley (FS 33-1). Can someone shoot me a quick diagram of the tool, with dimensions. It looks like a square piece of steel with (I presume) a slot that allows it to be slipped in behind the pulley. I am going to try to build that tool when I get back from the parts house, so I can get the block stripped and head over to the machine shop.

I have seen the tool you are referring to, but could not find any references or photos on the site. Here is another example:
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34545
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:39 am

Another option is to let the machine shop remove the pulley, then you can put it back on at the appropriate time. There have been numerous posts about this subject, you should find them with the search function.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Return to “Farmall Cub”