cub battery

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320
Circle of Safety: Y

cub battery

Postby thiggy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:46 pm

My NAPA battery that I bought a few years ago when I refurbished the Cub has bit the dust and I will be replacing it. However, I was never pleased with the size and was unable to use the battery cover with my old battery (original battery box and lid). The NAPA # was 7217L. Is there another battery which might be a more precise fit? Oh, '49 6 volt Cub. Thanks, Folks.
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Re: cub battery

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:55 pm

Thiggy,

Here is what you need to know about battery sizes, both 6 and 12V. I copied this and pasted it in a word file. I believe the author is "bob in CT," however I'm not sure since I did not have the good sense to save the author also.

Cub batteries

There have been many questions about buying a 6v battery.

Batteries are identified by "Group Number" in the battery industry. Group number identifies the size of the battery and the location of the terminals. The 6 volt battery used in the Cub is the same as the old VW Bug 6 volt battery and they are still available as they are used in golf carts, floor machines, signs and many commercial applications. Ask for Group 19L or Group 1 and you will get a 6 volt battery that fits. You may then get choices on battery quality and the best measure of this is cold cranking amps or CCA. The higher the number the more plates in the battery and that means you have more "power" available especially in cold weather when battery capacity drops. You can buy batteries at Sears, NAPA, or any other battery retailer that will order a battery for you if they do not carry it on the shelf. Interstate Battery has them in their on-line catalog under vintage cars. Use VW as the lookup in their battery finder, but you need to look it up in the vintage car section to find it.

I have seen some 12 volt tractors with the wrong battery too. I think a lot of battery box covers and fronts are lost when the PO came home with a battery that was not the right size so the covers were set aside and eventually lost. The correct 12 volt battery is Group 26R.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

tst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:10 pm

group 1

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:56 pm

The Group 1 batteries you can buy at most places are too tall for the Cub battery box. Tractor Supply is too tall. Advance Auto is too tall. AutoZone is too tall. Napa is too tall.

Apparently the "group" dimensions are just rough guidelines, not exact measurements.

DickB
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:38 pm

My experience is that recently I bought a 6v battery from NAPA that was a good fit although I did have to take some rubber off the cover's hold downs.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:35 pm

19L is what I buy and they fit nicely in my battery boxes... Interstate usually has them in stock which I like as does Battery Direct. I won't buy NAPA batteries again .. don't last and don't fit ... :-(
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:05 am

6V is getting harder to find in any size. A down side of any in stock 6v battery is it could have been sitting on the shelf for a long time.

Best bet is Interstate. I have seen their truck at the local Cub Cadet dealer, so possibly you can get a local place to order one for you if there is not a store nearby??
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)