This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Info for tachometer and cable routing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Info for tachometer and cable routing

Postby Glen » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:27 pm

Hi,
Here is some info about the Cub tachometer, in case you needed info about the original drive cable routing.
There is only one style of tachometer in the parts book, they are run by a cable from the Battery Ignition Unit. Every Cub with a Battery Ignition Unit serial number 192113 and above was supposed to have the place to drive it. The place is covered with a little flat plate held on with 2 screws.
It is important that the drive cable go in the right routing, it is a cable like a car speedometer had in the past, so they say no sharp bends, it has to go around gradual curves.
There were 2 clips originally to hold the cable in place too, one can be seen in the pic below, it's on the screw by the choke rod, at the dash.
Be sure to grease the parts like it shows in the book when putting it together, if you have one, and the cable needs greasing occasionally too, like a speedometer cable did.
Here are pages from Cub manuals showing the cable routing, and the drive, look closely, the cable is a little hard to see. Hope this helps, click on the pics makes them bigger. :)

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-04.jpg

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-26.jpg

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-42.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 011-02.jpg

drice
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19021
Tractors Owned: 1968 lowboy 1978 f cub and lots of cub cadets

Re: Info for tachometer and cable routing

Postby drice » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:51 pm

not every one had the hole behind the plate.i wish I checked that before I started the swap a while back would have saved me some time

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:28 pm

Nice post- very helpful to those that are looking to do this for the first time.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:35 pm

Hi,
drice, yes, I remember you said that then, I don't know why they had the plate and no hole in your casting. I've never had one of the newest Cubs. Maybe Boss Hog will comment about it.
Thanks Bob for the comments. :)

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:30 pm

All I have ever seen with the plate had the hole. But anything is possible
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg