This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Touch Control Adjustment

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LeeC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22150
Tractors Owned: 2 1962 LoBoys
1 1964 LoBoy
1 1965 LoBoy
1 1966 LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

Touch Control Adjustment

Postby LeeC » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:51 am

I have a Franken-Cub somebody did extensive work on before I got it. One of the things I noticed is the touch control does not lift my mower high enough and the rock shaft does not rotate as far as my other Cubs. Looking at the manuals, it looks like the procedure for adjusting the control valve operating lever stop on the touch control calls for a pressure gauge that I do not have. Is there a shade tree mechanic way to make the adjustment without putting the unit in danger of something undesirable such as inducing excessive pressure? Any hints or cautions would be appreciated.
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Touch Control Adjustment

Postby Rudi » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:36 am

Lee:

I built one for my Cubs after I kept blowing gaskets. Getting a stream of high pressure - yes 1500 PSI is high pressure .. shot of hydraulic fluid can not only hurt, it can debilitate or do worse damage to your body!

A pressure guage is a 6 dollar item usually at Harbor Freight or a bit more at an Autoparts store. Add in a fitting and it might come up to 10 bucks or so.

Never mind shade tree mechanics .. do it properly by the book.

Here is an example of a suitable guage available on the net

Image ProSense™ Dial Pressure Gauges (1.5, 2.0, 2.5 Inch Dials)

All you need is in this thread: Touch Control Troubleshooting Pressure Gauge
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

LeeC
10+ Years
10+ Years
1 1964 LoBoy
1 1965 LoBoy
1 1966 LoBoy

Postby LeeC » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:23 pm

Thanks Rudi, good input. I had not thought it would be that inexpensive to get the proper gear.
Circle of Safety

LeeC
10+ Years
10+ Years
1 1964 LoBoy
1 1965 LoBoy
1 1966 LoBoy

Postby LeeC » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:03 pm

To follow up on my post. My cubs are 165 miles from me, so I cannot step out my back door and work on them. I borrowed a gauge from a neighbor and hooked it up per the procedure. Turns out the previous owner did not adjust the control rod correctly and the lever was stopped by the end of its forward travel vs. operating lever stop on the touch control unit. I shortened the control rod at the adjustable yoke per the instructions, checked to make sure the gauge did not show high pressure at the forward lever position, and called it a day. This gave me the additional lift I was looking for. I suppose that the operating lever stop could be set too far back allowing the rockshaft to move to its extreme position, but it has been that way the entire time I have owned the tractor. My guess is that the operating lever stop position has not been changed since the touch control unit came from the factory.
Circle of Safety

sburre
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22534

Postby sburre » Tue May 16, 2017 8:37 am

I have rebuilt the the touch control and the pump, will not lift. Is the pressure regulator in the touch control supposed to be screwed in until it is tight or is this an adjustment? Have had it apart three times and cannot find a problem, no pressure for some reason, suspect fluid is just flowing in a loop. Have installed a second pump with same results. Touch control was completely disassembled and cleaned in a professional parts cleaner. I am using sae30 motor oil. I need some help from those with experience.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Tue May 16, 2017 9:27 am

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a lot of experience working with the TC, but two thoughts come immediately to mind here:
1. Are you really running motor oil as your hydraulic fluid? Why? It should be Hytran or equivalent/compatible hydraulic fluid. I am pretty sure motor oil does not count as equivalent. Given that, it still seems like it should do SOMETHING for you, and not just cease operations entirely.
2. What was the status of the TC system before the rebuild? Was it functional then?

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:33 am

Crimson Tim wrote:I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a lot of experience working with the TC, but two thoughts come immediately to mind here:
1. Are you really running motor oil as your hydraulic fluid? Why? It should be Hytran or equivalent/compatible hydraulic fluid. I am pretty sure motor oil does not count as equivalent. Given that, it still seems like it should do SOMETHING for you, and not just cease operations entirely.
2. What was the status of the TC system before the rebuild? Was it functional then?

I know a Cub doesn't use motor oil as hydraulic fluid but I had a Case 1845C skidsteer and the hydraulic oil was 30WT. non detergent motor oil it's also what goes in the lift on some older John Deere tractors (A,B,G etc.).
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue May 16, 2017 9:44 am

The early manual called for 30 wt non-detergent oil in the touch control. Your unit should work with it although after you get it working you might want to switch to a hydraulic oil.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

sburre
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22534

Postby sburre » Tue May 16, 2017 6:04 pm

the system had a leak and did not work before rebuild, after rebuild it has small amount of movement trying to lift, appears to be low pressure. The pump was also rebuild, same result. Put on another used pump, same results.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Tue May 16, 2017 9:55 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:The early manual called for 30 wt non-detergent oil in the touch control. Your unit should work with it although after you get it working you might want to switch to a hydraulic oil.

I stand corrected. I learn something new on this site every day!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed May 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Shade tree version of how to do the adjustment is to run the engine slow and listen for it to load down and unload. It will lug the engien down when at high pressure, and unload it at low pressure.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat May 20, 2017 6:33 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:The early manual called for 30 wt non-detergent oil in the touch control.

Ed posted 10 wt in another thread, I looked it up and that's correct. CRS
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sat May 20, 2017 7:55 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:
Bob McCarty wrote:The early manual called for 30 wt non-detergent oil in the touch control.

Ed posted 10 wt in another thread, I looked it up and that's correct. CRS

Yep, but I have run them with 30 wt with no issues. But keep in mind, I don't live where the snow flies. :-)
Thomas

Return to “Farmall Cub”