This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

trophies

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

trophies

Postby George Willer » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:33 pm

Scotty's message above reminded me of this subject. We attend a lot of shows, whenever we can... but Trophies seem to be awarded only at a new show. Those shows that have been in existence for a while usually avoid them like the plague.

Do any of you feel that trophies add to a show?

My personal feeling is that everyone's tractor should stand on it's own merits as an expression of its' owner and should not be ranked above any other. We all maintain our tractors at our own level, and should not be ranked. Competion among friends is not a good thing.

Cub tractor pulls are a totally different subject! :D These are not based solely on opinion. :shock:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374

Postby farmallcub49 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:37 pm

I agree with you whole-heartedly George. I feel that is what has wrecked the car hobby is that people are out to compete against one another. The tractor hobby seems to be just a big social gathering of friends you may see only once a year. There is no pressure to be the best. We restore for the enjoyment of the work and the pleasure we get when our projects are finished to our liking.
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:41 pm

Right on George! We all restore/maintain our tractors to our own tastes and abilities. Trophies would be an unwanted pressure for us all. Just there to see all my pals :lol:
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:47 pm

Amen! No need for trophies. I wouldn't have to worry about winning one anyway.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

(CUB HUT)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47401

Postby (CUB HUT) » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:50 pm

I will side with George on this one . Trophies are the way to tell who has the most money!!
Show what you got and leave well enough alone.
THE OLDER I GET ---THE BETTER I WAS

If you can read this... thank a teacher... if you are reading it in English....THANK A VET !!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:57 pm

George one of my nephews is in to cars and he has tropheys to numerous to display one side of his garage. I think it is a waste. Perhaps and better would be a certificate of participation. They would not be expensive and if some body drove or trailered their tractor or implements 1000 miles it would give them recognition for being there. Those of us who brought no Equipment would get no recognition but we could buy a hat to help defray costs.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:12 pm

Mr. GW,

You continue to demonstrate sensibility :!: No wonder you have our respect :!:
8)

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Shows

Postby allenlook » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:13 pm

Disappointingly enough, the trophy at a car show usually goes to the fella who paid someone else to restore a car and then trailered it to the show, vs. to the guy who lovingly restored his father's Model X from "ought six" and drove it to the show.

Me being sports-minded, I'm all for trophies for competitive events, but this isn't one of those kinds of things. I think the certificate idea is awesome.

Everybody gets one for making an appearance and for supporting the Cub spirit, and for those who brought equipment it's listed on there.

That to me recognizes everyones passion for the ilk, and also recognizes everyone who was fortunate enough to bring specimens (we don't all have trailers or the ability to tow our Cubs hundreds of miles, and we don't all have something that's necessarily show-worthy, but we sure like to participate.)
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:30 pm

But....but.....but, what about the "correct police"? :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I wouldn't mind bringing a tractor to an event if this attitude was prevalent. Then, I might solicit the advice of one of the sages to point out where I could improve. 8)

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:40 pm

There are ladies on the forum or I would tell you what I think of the correct police. It has some thing to do with where the sun don't shine.

bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:40 pm

I don't own but one "restored" tractor and I just recently bought it. I didn't do the restoration and it was done some years back. It is not "correct" by any means. So, I guess I can say that I don't own a "show" tractor. I enjoy seeing nice original tractors and also those that were "field modified" over the years. If people don't want to look at "different" they can just pass mine by.
Don't get me wrong. I enjoy seeing the restorations done by others. There's a lot of work put into some of them and those guys have reason to be proud of them. But some of those guys are afraid to take a ride and get their tractors dirty. How much fun can that be?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:01 pm

hr's49cub wrote:But....but.....but, what about the "correct police"? :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I wouldn't mind bringing a tractor to an event if this attitude was prevalent. Then, I might solicit the advice of one of the sages to point out where I could improve. 8)

Harold,

Excuse the expression, but screw the correct police police! Their only useful function is to point out, when requested, what original really was. A number of us are willing to help determine what that was. I think that information can be useful to someone who really wants to know, but the risk is that others may be turned off by emphasis on originality. I really doubt anyone knowingly departs from original unless they feel they have a better idea. There's a Lot of room for these ideas.

I remember how much I was turned off by some arrogant, snot- nosed, self appointed correct policeman at the first show I showed my first Cub which I was very proud of. He couldn't even wait for me to unload. It seems he didn't have a tractor of his own to show. I appologized profusely for subjecting him to such a bad example of a tractor, and suggested he go inspect others! I later sold that defective tractor for $5000 at auction where true value is determined!
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:09 pm

George and all,
Steer clear of any form of "official" recognition, lie back and enjoy it,
Baby has been done up, using the best match for paint, IH bits where available, but how correct it is I don't know, what I do know is that on it's first outing it caused a lot of people to talk and remenisc over the past. Noëlle and I had a wonderful 3 months doing the work and now Baby is ready to go to work, taking over from Viki on Grass cutting duty, ploughing and cultivating this winter and if we can find a blade, leveling and grading shared once Viki is done.
Much nicer to have a chat over a beer than drool over a cup.
Anyway we don't have a mantlepiece over our fireplace to put any on to gather dust!
Pat

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:33 pm

I agree, I have seen some hurt feelings over a trophy and it kills the spirit of what it should be about.
Jim Turner

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:27 pm

My tractor is not correct either. I wanted to express who i am. I dont think a 1948 cub would come out of the factory with an airhorn :lol:

I'd much rather have some crap on my boot left over from a bull session than to have a trophey that is just going to collect dust.
Image On To Bigger Things

Return to “Farmall Cub”