This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How to clean a gas tank

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39120

How to clean a gas tank

Postby cavingreer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:29 am

Since my carb float bowl and sediment bowl were completely packed with dried fuel I'm pretty sure the bottom of the tank is going to be ugly. What are some good methods and chemicals to clean the crud out of a tank?
IT Guy by day, Rockstar by night, Amateur tractor restorer on occasion 8)
1949 Farmall Cub #94459 - Restoration Thread
"Organized chaos is better than no chaos at all"

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: How to clean a gas tank

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:10 am

It depends on what's available. Probably the best cleaning and easiest is to get a radiator shop to clean it and seal/coat it if necessary, if you can find one willing to do that. Alternates: (1) Cleaning solution with a handful of small nuts and bolts then mechanical rotation to dislodge all the crud, rinse and hope no pinholes show up, (2) chemical cleaners and pressure washer, (3)install a filter inside the tank to catch the crud and plan on cleaning it later. A filter like the one shown in the attachment will fit over the nipple of the shutoff valve that extends inside the tank.
filter in tank1.JPG
filter in tank2.jpg
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cavingreer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:09 pm

During my lunch break I got a good look in the tank with a flashlight and it's not coated with crud in the bottom like I expected just some specks and bits of rust and a little bit of crud right around the outlet. Washed it out with some TSP. I'll pick up one of those little filters and put in the tank. Thanks again!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:31 pm

staninlowerAL wrote: Alternates: (1) Cleaning solution with a handful of small nuts and bolts then mechanical rotation to dislodge all the crud, rinse and hope no pinholes show up,

Do this only if you have a deep-seeded loating of yourself. I tried it once. Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ev-er again. Thought I'd never get all those :censored: nuts and bolts out.....

Best way I have found: muriatic acid, at the rate of about a cup to 1.5 cups per gallon of tank capacity. Then fill with water and walk away for 24 hrs. Drain. The tank will be clean. Slosh around some acetone, re-fill with fuel, and off you go. If there's varnish/oily gunk in the tank, clean with a strong lye solution first.

Cavingreer, sounds like in your case a filter should do the trick.

Al
Last edited by Super A on Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:54 pm

My thought is that if your tank is relatively clean and you have the screen in the sediment bowl and carb gas inlet, another filter is redundant.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:55 pm

Suggest you remove the valve body from the tank, clean thoroughly (might have to remove the valve stem) and use a small chainsaw file or similar tool to cut a little notch for the filter oring to slip into. Reinstall the valve body with a sealer good for gasolene (PTFE is good) and use an extension magnet to hold the metal end of the filter and place it on the valve extension, then use a long screwdriver or similar tool to push the filter in place while holding it with the magnet. Lightly oil the oring will make it slip on better. Be sure the filter is dry while working with it, it will collapse if wet. You can test the valve shutoff before reinstalling the tank on the tractor. If there is seepage around the stem, a few turns of WAXED DENTAL FLOSS makes an acceptable packing. CAUTION: Don't attempt to straighten the ell shape of the valve handle, the brass will break!! In case you haven't discovered it the valve is designed to seat in both the fully open and fully closed position. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:14 pm

if your tank is that clean then just make sure the rest of the fuel delivery system is up to specs and clean. If you really want to do more then I suggest this modification : How To Upgrade A Cub Fuel System

I had a look in Ellie's tank yesterday getting it ready for Bruce to take Ellie up the road and split a couple cords of wood. After 6 years with the new filter in it and I guess it is what now 12 years for the Red Kote .. it still is like it was in 09

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cavingreer » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:40 pm

Wow. That's gorgeous.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:47 pm

That is what all my gas tanks look like... I had them done professionally.

I refuse to play with those chemicals anymore as they are highly dangerous to one's health. Without owning a good Externally Supplied Air system doing your own tanks is folly. I know others will say it isn't all that dangerous but I figure unless you are going to be doing a half dozen tanks and restoring a half dozen tractors .. purchasing that kind of safety gear is out of most peoples budgets.

It pays to have a good quality radiator and gas tank repair shop on speed dial :big smile: .. I gots bout 4 rads that are going in over the winter to get tested, checked and in some cases recored and painted.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24551

Postby Clip » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:48 am

Here's my approach, same as above. Haven't had any crud in the sediment bowl.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86775&p=691595#p691595