This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Will not start...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Will not start...

Postby allenlook » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:25 pm

I've read a *lot* of posts about electrical problems, and I have always been really, really happy not to have to follow along too closely, but now it appears I've got one of my own! I have a 12V negative ground system that is totally inoperative. :shock:

There's been a lot going on to the tractor in the last few days. I rebuilt and remounted the hydraulic unit, moved the Woods L59 back (had to drill some new holes in the mounts for THAT), adjusted the casters so they finally don't hit the deck OR the front wheels, installed a rear work light, drained and refreshed the tranny, cut and welded two cobbed-up shifter levers together to make a new (and finally proper) one, blah blah blah. :?

After all of my projects on Jay were completed, I hooked the neg. battery cable back up, hit the switch, and pulled the starting lever, but *nothing* happened. The starter did not spin, nothing clicked, the amp guage did not wiggle, *nothing*. :shock:

So I checked the battery and it's OK, 12V.

I checked the cable connection at the starter, 12V.

I checked the fuse and it's OK and has 12V supplied through it.

I checked at the switch terminals and it has 12V. (Perhaps I should check both terminals when it's ON to ensure it did not go bad, though.)

I found a loose wire between the coil and distributor and fixed it, but it was only loose, not disconnected.

I turned on the switch and used the hand crank a bunch of times, but there was no sign of life.

The headlights no longer work.

I wonder if I messed something up behind the instrument panel getting the hydraulic unit out...? Not much back there though, and all of the wiring looks OK, but it's hard to tell with all that dirt.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:37 pm

Sounds like it's broke to me!!!! :)

OK, lots of places to go here, also could be multiple problems since many things were changed or near where work was going on. Since the starter doesn't spin, let's start there. You measured 12 volts at the starter lug, can you measure that while you pull the starter rod to see if the voltage sags (jammed starter) or stays the same? You may have to dis-assemble the starter switch to see if you can get the starter to spin directly. I suspect something has happened behind the dash pane in the area of the ammeter. Perhaps a wire pulled loose there?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Fixed.

Postby allenlook » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:18 pm

OK, replaced the switch with one that looks more like the original pull knob. It was old and corroded - I was getting enough voltage to light up my meter, but not enough to even trip the starter.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:51 am

Allen take the switch off and use ajumper cable directly to the starter. Also remove the ground cable and clean the terminals and posts. I always put grease on the connections befor I reconnect them to prevent future corrosion.. Clean the hot terminal and battery post too. The hot terminal being the one that is not grounded. After trying this let us know how you do and we will take it from there. This eliminates many possibilities. Start with the easy inexpensive things first. If you have a volt meter you could take a volt reading at the starter end of the jumper before you connect it to the battery and while connected. You could charge the battery too to elimenate the possibility that it is just run down.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Oops!

Postby allenlook » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:52 am

Oops, sorry, I should have been clearer, but it was late and I was beat.

The tractor fires up now, somehow I was getting a little tiny bit of juice through the switch, enough to register on my voltage meter, but not enough to fire up the tractor.

Now I've got a nice new switch that looks more like the original, and the tractor's fine.

AND, after redo-ing the Touch Control unit, it works FAST. :D It still makes a "psssssshk" noise every 3 seconds though, I can't figure that one out...

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:54 am

Allen must be the turbo you put in :lol:
Image On To Bigger Things

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Plugs

Postby allenlook » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:56 am

And tonight, maybe I can get around to putting in the new plugs and plug wires I picked up at NAPA yesterday.