This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electric help

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Electric help

Postby Patbretagne » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:57 am

Two little questions for the Electrical department.

1 I only have a 12 v charger, what can I put between the battery and the charger to come down to 6 volts, in paralel or series???

2 Legally on the road, here in france, we have to have what's called a Gyrophare, that is to say a revolving yellow light like the police's blue one. That's OK and almost acceptable, but they only exist in 12 volt, is there a "thing" that can be plugged in to make it go faster and brighter on 6 Volt?
Your help will be, as ever, greatly appreciated.
Pat

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:04 am

maybe you could buy one of those 12 v motorcycle batteries and run it off that.
Just a thought
Image On To Bigger Things

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:17 am

Pat, 6V chargers are so cheep it would be easier to just get one than try and modify your. Besides if you cut down the voltage you will then have to deal with the heat generated. Ohmite makes what you seek but the cost would far outway the benefit. I bought a charger just recently for $30.00. Does 12 and 6V. As for the light, maybe a 12v lantern would be more convienent if you are not using it long.

Man- Life sure sounds difficult over there. :?

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:48 am

Pat what do you mean by charger? Is that what we on the other side of the pond would call a generater? If so I would use a 12 volt battery, put a resistor in series with the coil and replace my lamps with 12 volt bulbs. They can be obtained to fit in to 6 volt sockets. 6 volt starters will work well on 12 volt, if you don't crank them excessively. Of course if you mean a plug in battery charger I would still put in a 12 volt battery and either replace the generater or disable it. A cub uses so little electricity you could keep the battery up with frequent chargings.
As they say best to keep the county mounty happy.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:51 pm

No in fact I want to charge my 6 volt Cub battery with my 12v charger, I've looked allover for a cheap or non cheap 6v charger and ici it does not exist. I've wondered about putting a 6v headlight bulb in series with the charger battery.
It is not my intention to change Any or either of the running cubs to 12 volt.
The second question is also for the Cub when I am on the road, 12v girophars do not give off the rated number of flashes bright enough on 6v, I need to find a way of making it work on 6v with brightness and speed of totation, we'll get there one day :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks guys so far, if anyone else can chip in with their 2 cents of a Euro's worth I'd be happy to hear.
Pat

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:59 pm

Pat, putting a 6 volt headlamp in series with the battery will do the trick.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:56 pm

Pat jst a thought can you get into the lamp and change the bulb to a six volt bulb, if you could that would give you the brightness you need and it may also increase the RPM's on the rotater
Jim Turner

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:21 pm

Pat what voltage do you have in your part of france? If 110 or 120 I'll pick up a combo 12 volt 6 volt charger and send it to you. If you are 50 cycle I don't think it would be a problem. We use 60 cycle in the USA. You could always change the plug to fit.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:15 pm

Pat, can you get a gyrophare that is a self contained unit? Will a blinking yellow light satisfy the police? If that solves your problem , so be it. Yo would need to think where you are going to attact it to the cub.

Richard for Little Indy
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:50 pm

Pat:

Sorry for not replying earlier, however family matters have been foremost in my mind this weekend. My neice Rachel has become the first of her generation to enter into the Holy Bonds of Matrimony yesterday. And today was the 50th anniversary of my Mother-in-laws cousin Pere Alban who was ordained this day in 1955 as a priest in the Roman fellowship....

Anyhoosie, that being as it may...

The 6 volt flasher problem - ahhh yuppp, :roll: been there, done that and solved it :!: :idea: :shock: :D Yup sure did. However, it was kinda dicey...

The older flashing lights that were mounted to much heavy equipment used a 12v flasher can/pot - the type that were 2 or 3 pronged - much like a flasher for a car's signal lights. This was before the fabricators moved over to solid state and then to LED's. The trick is to find one of the older units that are equipped with this type of flasher. Once found, then it is relatively simple to order from NAPA, UAP etc., a replacement 6 volt flasher unit and install it. That is what I did for the flashing light/girophare for Ellie Mae...

Best place to find one of these units is a local construction company repair facility, a heavy equipment dealer or service center, city or town works department or any other source of the amber units.. they do come in red and blue as well -- but that might be pushing it a bit.. eh :?: :roll: :oops: :roll: :lol:

That should about do it...

Let me know if you can find one. If not, I know of two more and maybe others that are available here.

Btw -- started a search for this stuff on the net -- I think I might to a How To on this subject.....

this is an example of what I mean by the 12v flasher pot

I am looking for more info online. I will try to get the model number of the flasher that I have as well as a few pics if possilbe. Oh, the bulb is a standard 1133
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:01 pm

Why not charge two 6 volt batteries at the same time :?: You do have more than 1 Cub :lol:
Jumper the negative of one battery to the positive of the other. Then put your charger on as if the 2 batteries were 1.

Charger pos to + -^+ - to charger neg. Well I tried :lol: :lol:
8)