This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mott FHC mower drive shaft all bolluxed up

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mva1958
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23314
Circle of Safety: Y

Mott FHC mower drive shaft all bolluxed up

Postby mva1958 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:14 pm

Guys, the universal joint at the mower end of the pto drive shaft is missing a whatchamajigger - see photo. Am I screwed? Should I start looking for a used replacement or can this be repaired? The Mott Pdf manual has someone's handwritten notation of a part number for the shaft pieces but they aren't in Flailmaster's catalog.

Mike
Attachments
IMG_20150709_154115_edit_edit.jpg
If only Mrs. Hoyt and Mrs. Clagwell had gotten along...

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Mott FHC mower drive shaft all bolluxed up

Postby Eugene » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:58 pm

PTO parts are available, including the cross, on line. The missing part is a bearing cap and not sold separately.

You may only need a cross or more parts. Can't tell from the photo if additional parts are needed.

You need to measure up your pto parts, then get on line with a firm that sells parts.

If you have big bucks, any of your local tractor dealerships or tractor repair shops can rebuild the pto.

PTO repairs are relatively simple. Generally within the ability of most tractor owners.

Edit: After measuring up your PTO shaft and looking up parts on line, investigate purchasing a new PTO shaft.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:20 am

That is a standard Weasler Series 6 PTO universal joint. Available at your local Tractor Supply for <$20, or any machinery dealer.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... a-6-series

You really should replace the entire cross and bearing assembly. Hopefully you did not try to run it like that and cause damage to the yoke. Replacement yokes and shafts are readily available, for everything except the 10-spline yoke that fits on the Cub PTO shaft.

They are a little bit tedious to change. Having a shop press to perform the work is handy but it can be done in a typical bench vice.

1. Locate and remove the retainer clips. These will be between the "legs" of the yoke, on the bearing cups.
2. Locate two shallow well sockets. One that is big enough for the bearing cup to slip into, another that is the size of that exposed pin.
3. Open up your vise and stack the big socket, the knuckle, and the small socket in. Align them so the small socket presses into one bearing cup (or the exposed cross pin) and the large socket "catches" the bearing cup as it comes out. This is where a helper is almost mandatory.
4. Tighten down the vise, using it to press the entire cross assembly into the large socket. It may take significant force to pop the cup loose depending on how long it has been there. You may not be able to press it completely out but it should be loose enough to pull with pliers.
5. Flip everything over and press the cross back the other way to push out the opposite bearing cup. Now you can remove one yoke and the whole works is easier to handle.
6. Repeat steps 3 4 and 5 for the other two bearing cups.

Installing the new cross is much less complicated. Simply load the bare cross into the yoke and use the vise to push each bearing cup into place. Make sure the grease fitting is pointing in a convenient direction before installing any bearings. Go slow and be careful to not knock the needle bearings out of the cups as you press things together. If it doesn't go fairly easily, STOP, take it apart, and try again.

mva1958
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mva1958 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:11 pm

Unfortunately it came apart while I was mowing and managed to wallow out the yoke. The Mott fast hitch mower utilizes the IH 90 degree gear box which does indeed have the cub-specific spline, and the yoke connecting to the right angle drive is the one that's knackered.
Attachments
IMG_20150710_125008.jpg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:01 pm

There is a sleeve/adapter available that fits the Cub's 10 spline PTO shaft and fits inside a 6 spline standard PTO yoke.
I have an excuse. CRS.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:41 pm

In extreme situations like yours, I have tack welded the u-joint cup to the yoke. If you can't find a replacement part, a machine shop can build yours up, then resize it or make you a bushing to fit and install it in the yoke. Not cheap, but doable. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:20 pm

What is in the center yoke? If it's the the shaft to the gear box, you may be able to remove the yoke, providing it's not welded to the shaft.

Carefully look over the damaged yoke for something holding the yoke to the shaft.
I have an excuse. CRS.

mva1958
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mva1958 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:01 pm

Eugene wrote:What is in the center yoke? If it's the the shaft to the gear box, you may be able to remove the yoke, providing it's not welded to the shaft.

Carefully look over the damaged yoke for something holding the yoke to the shaft.

The damaged yoke attaches to the right angle drive's shaft with a bolt that screws into the end of the shaft - you can see the bolt head in the photo I posted earlier. I removed it after I worked the cross free, came off without difficulty.