This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission input shaft

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Transmission input shaft

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:19 am

The clutch pedal felt funny on this '51 so since it's torn down as far as it is, "may as well" split it and see what's going on. My suspicions were verified: Clutch fingers were only at 3/4". Clutch is otherwise like new, if a little rusty from the animal nest.

While I was in there, I noticed that the transmission input shaft seems bent, but I'm not sure. When I rotate it it seems to have a lot of runout, like over 1/2". If I supported the pilot end so that it couldn't swing, the shaft seemed bowed as it turned.

When I had the engine running, I did not hear any noises.

How bad of a job is it to change out?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Transmission input shaft

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:14 am

Were you having a problem with the pilot bushing dragging before you took it apart? 1/2 inch doesn't seem that bad. It may be best to let the sleeping dog lie.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:38 am

Don't know if there are any issues yet. I just got the tractor running two days ago. Couldn't drive it because the clutch wouldn't release.

Probably before I spend any money, I should push it back together and see what happens now that the clutch fingers are adjusted properly. Replacing the input shaft looks like a transmission split anyway.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:00 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:..... Replacing the input shaft looks like a transmission split anyway.
You are correct there. When you said run out did you mean that the shaft will move forward and backward 1/2 inch or just that it wobbles sideways 1/2? If that is forward and backward movement the retainer on the shaft at the front of transmission is most likely installed backward. That much endwise movement will let pto slip out of gear.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:59 pm

The pilot end of the shaft moves around in a circle as it spins, instead of spinning axially.

There's some endplay (fore-aft movement) but not an excessive amount.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:53 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:The pilot end of the shaft moves around in a circle as it spins, instead of spinning axially.

There's some endplay (fore-aft movement) but not an excessive amount.
That movement is normal, the bearing is not that precise, and that is a lot of shaft extending our the transmission.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:38 am

All righty then, back together it goes. Maybe tonight it will move under its own power for the first time in the better part of a decade.