This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

differential fluid leak

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
54farmallguy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49646
Tractors Owned: 1954 Cub 1944 Farmall A

differential fluid leak

Postby 54farmallguy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:55 am

well, after a long frustrating spring/ half of the summer I finally got the cub running again, drove it out of the barn, did a loop and pulled back in, all of a sudden differential fluid just started pouring out of the bell housing, now I have differential fluid all over my clutch, flywheel, and starter. Im assuming a seal let loose, differential fluid is all aerated as well. does anyone here know what seal it could have been that let go? I have seen a couple different diff. seals, but I am unsure of exactly which one it is.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: differential fluid leak

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:59 am

When was the last time you drained the differential? They are frequently overfilled with an emulsion of lube and water.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:36 pm

Take a look at the parts diagram. http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/download.php?fname=./files/Tractor%20Parts%20Manuals/TC-37F%20Rev%206%208-79%20OCR.pdf

The lower pinion shaft is sealed in the front with a cover and a gasket. The input shaft has a seal, but that is up high in the box and lubed by splash. Both require a split, naturally.

54farmallguy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49646
Tractors Owned: 1954 Cub 1944 Farmall A

Postby 54farmallguy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:55 pm

thanks for the info, have not had time to look at the diagram yet, but off the top of your head, are there any other seals/ gaskets that I should replace since it is apart?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:00 pm

If you by chance ran it down a fairly steep spot, the oil you are seeing may have accumulated in the rear of the torque tube then ran to the front when you got the nose low. Another possibility is it being engine oil coming past the rear main of the engine (seal spinning in retainer) Remove the hand hole cover under the clutch and see if the rear of the tube is oily, or only the front.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:09 pm

If you have it apart, I would replace the rear main seal with a modified retainer from Tim ( "tst" forum handle) and inspect the TO bearing. If you look you will find. Depends on how hard you want to look.

Return to “Farmall Cub”