This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

J4 Magneto

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
whtwolf97
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 35757
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub
1950 Case SC

J4 Magneto

Postby whtwolf97 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:10 pm

I wasn't getting any fire coming out of the spark plug wire so I checked the timing, made sure it was correct, and still nothing. Checked the coil wire and got fire going into distributor but nothing coming out. I took a look at the rotor and it looks ok but the pinion gear that drives the rotor has several worn teeth which makes the rotor loose. I figure that my firing problem, am I right about that or has someone got another idea? Should I replace both the rotor and gear or just the gear and see how the rotor does with it? This is a J4 magneto on a 49 Cub. Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: J4 Magneto

Postby Rick Spivey » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:31 pm

Usually it is fine to replace just the pinion,rotors seem to last longer. That slop could make your timing off or erratic, but shouldn't make it not fire at all UNLESS it is a lot of slop. Definitely needs to be addressed.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Return to “Farmall Cub”