This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Correct grade of engine oil/priming engine oil

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ian D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Correct grade of engine oil/priming engine oil

Postby Ian D » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:54 pm

Hi Folks
Can you please advise me what grade of engine oil I should be putting in my Cub?
As some of you may be aware, I am currently restoring my Cub (french model with C60 engine) and I have just re-fitted the engine after a complete overhaul and rebuid; rebore, re-sleeved, new bearings throughout, new valves, guides and new rings etc. I have read different opinions but they all vary.

I have also read on the forum before that you need to prime/fill the engine oil pump through the oil filter housing?? Please accept my apologies for the description - can someone please briefly explain what I need to do, I am not yet at a stage to start the engine but I dont want to turn it over too many times to set valve clearances etc without oil in it or being primed correctly
Thanks
Regards
Ian

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Correct grade of engine oil/priming engine oil

Postby bythepond88 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:56 pm

There is a hole near the top of the chamber where the oil filter sits, on the back (block) side. Squirt oil into that hole until it is full. Then, turn the engine 1/3 of a revolution (I grab on to the fan blade to turn it). Fill the hole up again, and give the engine another 1/3 turn, then fill the hole a third time. That should prime the pump. But be sure to check to make sure the engine has pressure shortly after starting (it will take a little bit, because the chamber has to fill with oil before it builds pressure). If it doesn't build pressure, repeat the process.

As for what grade to use, that is a great big ol' can o' worms, and you will get almost as many answers as there are cub members. The manual calls for straight 30 when temps are above freezing, and 10W30 when it's not. However, the general consensus (as much as there is one) is run whatever you put in your other vehicles, to avoid a proliferation of supply.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:06 pm

You can find the specifications for lubrication in the pdf manuals at the top of this page but any good grade of 30 wt engine oil rated for moderate to severe service will do the job. Prime the oil pump is sometimes needed to make sure the oil pump will pick up the oil in the sump (oil pan). You can do this removing the filter cover and filter and by filling the hole inside the oil filter housing at about the 2 o'clock position until it is full and oil comes from the hole when you rotate the engine with a hand crank or starter motor. The attached picture shows where the hole is located. Maybe this helps. Stan
prime oil pump.jpg

An alternate point is the allen screw that is located in the oil filter housing just outside the point where the cover attaches to the block. If you are able to remove this screw, you can fill the oil pump without having to remove the cover.
oil fill plug.JPG
oil fill plug.JPG (18.38 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Ian D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Ian D » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:38 am

Superb, thank you once again for the info, much appreciated
Regards