This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

59' Cub LoBoy Brakes

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 59' Cub LoBoy Brakes

Postby Denny Clayton » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:22 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
Here are pictures from TM Tractor of the right final drive for a LoBoy. The 3rd pic down shows where the brake goes in it. It shows the oil seal also. There is a seal on each side of the brake drum basically. So 2 seals on the left and 2 seals on the right. I would replace all 4 seals, if you are replacing both brakes. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/glb/rhdrive_001.htm

If there are any leaking seals they are in the transmission case where the axle slides in. They likely are not bad though if the transmission has been overfilled. They are meant to keep back the "splash factor" as the proper level is just below the seal. Even a new seal will leak if the trans is overfilled. With that said, it would be wise to replace the trans seals while the access is there.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Postby DonMountain » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:34 pm

I decided to finish mowing the hills around the farm with the Cub, and got that finished. And with my wife away for the rest of the week visiting her ill mother, I decided that I didn't need to mow grass for the next 2 weeks and go fishing with my brother, who will be visiting, along with one of his son-in-laws and grandsons (looks like a lot of help here). And after I get the boat all ready to go, I am going to clear out a place to work in the shop (its a small shop) and start dismantling it. If I can get the tires and fenders off and everything cleaned up, and parked under a beam to use the cum-along for help removing the final drives, then with my brother's help I will tear it down and order the parts. How do I order the seals that I need to replace? Is there a size number I need to look up? On the TM Tractor Parts page http://www.tmtractor.com/new/df/044fp.htm I see Stock #DF044 replaces part number 381907R91 that evidently goes right behind the brake drum? Is this the correct ones and are there others I should replace since I am in there? Also, one of the brakes failed a few years ago and didn't work at all. I suspect that the brake drum lock bolt came loose and it slid it away from the brake band. What damage could this have caused and what parts might I have to replace on that side? Thanks everyone for your help on this since I am not a mechanic and don't know what to do here. The most I have ever done in the mechanic's department is replacing the head gasket on the grandson's Chevy Cavalier and the cam drive chain on my Cavalier double overhead cam engine.
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:36 pm

DF044 is the seal on the final, third picture in the post with the final drive pictures. DF245, is the one you need on the transmission side. I've found TM prices to be comparable to NAPA, and you don't have to make a trip there, to order, and another, to pick up. And, supporting a site sponsor, helps all of us.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Postby DonMountain » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:27 pm

Thanks again. I looked at the DF245 on the TM Tractor site. I looked at the brake bands on both of the sites given and it appears that the Hamilton Bob site has a set of them for $46 and the TM Tractor has one for $65.15! That is a huge difference! I wonder why? Is one really cheapy made in Tiawan and the other really good American made? And one fits good and the other one doesn't fit no matter how big of a hammer I use?
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:34 pm

To clarify, the stock # that TM uses is their own # and does not cross reference to the original IH part #. You might find the seals at an auto parts store, but sometimes the crossover does not match. The brake drum may be scored, but could either be turned if not too bad or replaced. Also a small possibility that the shaft could be worn down to where the drum won't tighten on it. Best to wait until you have it apart. I haven't seen the bands from HamiltonBob's, so I can't comment on their quality. It does look like they are riveted while some aftermarket bands are glued with only 1/2 the # of rivets as the original. OEM is usually more expensive, usually that is quality and correct fit, sometimes not.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 pm

mountain4don wrote:Thanks again. I looked at the DF245 on the TM Tractor site. I looked at the brake bands on both of the sites given and it appears that the Hamilton Bob site has a set of them for $46 and the TM Tractor has one for $65.15! That is a huge difference! I wonder why? Is one really cheapy made in Tiawan and the other really good American made? And one fits good and the other one doesn't fit no matter how big of a hammer I use?

I've used some cheaper brake bands, from Ebay,and they do require a big hammer! Never used Hamilton Bob's. He generally has good products. I'm about as cheap as you can get, but I also don't want to take the tractor apart, in 2 years, to replace the things I saved a couple of bucks, on.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”