This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Cub Owner

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PacerX
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49677

New Cub Owner

Postby PacerX » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:08 pm

Just bought this little guy:

It starts like a champ, but burns oil a bit (blue smoke from the exhaust).

With OHV engines, burning oil is a good indication of a valve seal/guide that has given up the ghost. Is it the same for flatheads like the Cub?

As an initial plan, I was thinking of buying a valvetrain kit (valves, springs, retainers, etc...) and doing that. Alternately, I could also do pistons and rings.

The hydraulics are a little iffy... the blade does not respond smartly to inputs. Does a hydraulics rebuild make sense?

Thanks for any help you guys wish to give!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Cub Owner

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:25 pm

With the flathead engine the blue smoke is most likely due to worn piston rings. Do a wet and dry compression test to determine whether it needs a valve job or needs rings & a re-bore.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:54 pm

Welcome to the forum. That's a nice looking Cub, everything looks pretty straight. Your blade has a lot of homemade parts on it and the chain isn't factory. That may be causing your problem with it not operating right. I wouldn't go into a rebuild just yet. Also check the hydraulic fluid and bleed the system if you have to add any.

Here is what a complete blade set up should look like. http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gim ... 4a_001.htm
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:36 am

Welcome to the forum!

Was this an auction or yard sale where you bought the Cub? If you need manuals, check out the links across the top of the screen.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:22 am

The flat head engines do not have valve seals since there is no oil laying around the valves to run down the stems. As has been mentioned, most likely it is from worn rings, and these are not sleeved engines, if the cylinders have much wear they must be bored and new pistons installed. As was mentioned, the hydraulic pump when worn can leak hydraulic oil into the engine, and is not good engine oil. Before doing much mechanic work I would change the motor oil and filter and check the hydraulic level. Hydraulic should be full to the bottom of fill plug with cylinder retracted (implement all the way down).
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:03 pm

It is also possible that the rings are stuck in the piston grooves. Suggest you put some Sseafoam in the oil and the gas, and work her hard for a few hours, and see if that helps.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:05 pm

Pacerx, that picture looks like it was taken just west of Reed on hwy 10. Am I warm?
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Return to “Farmall Cub”