This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Cub owner!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Smoke
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49010

New Cub owner!

Postby Smoke » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:43 am

First ill intro myself. My name is Todd and I'm 53 years young. My wife, son and I have recently moved to the old family farm.
Just this week I bought a 1946 F Cub tall model.
Hadn't run in who know how long? The ole boy I bought it from didn't remember either. He's 79 still pretty sharp but memory is just a bit weak. Anyway it took us about 4 hours to get it running and she purrs nicely now.

This tractor came with several attachments, but after he told me we had to hook up the positive battery cable to the negative post on the battery I've been a bit confused ever since. Lol
It came with
Sickle bar
Single bottom plow
Planter
Cultivator
Pull behind disk
And a converted belly grater for a front snow blade.
So if you are still with me after reading all this ill get to my issue.
I hooked up the single bottom plow like I thought it hooked up. Didn't work. Hooked it up a couple more ways and it still does not dig in. I've got to be missing something? Is there anyone on here who has a manual they would care to snap some photos of to help a brother out? Or better yet a pic of a cub with some good pics of how it's mounted?
Thanks for staying with me on this one.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Cub owner!

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:14 am

Hi Todd, welcome to the great world of Cubs and the forum. I will try to help you out here.

First, Cubs were not introduced until 1947. You will need to check your serial number to determine what year you have. At the top of this page is a link that says “What Year Is My Cub”. Click on that and enter your info.

Next, if you Cub is still all original and an early model, your ground cable should go to the positive side of the battery.

Lastly, here is a link showing how a plow is set up. http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gim ... ow_001.htm
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:55 am

Todd, Welcome to the Forum. In the tool bar above you can find both maintenance, implement, and parts manuals. Did you make sure you have oil pressure after the initial start up? Often they need to be primed. Don't run it if you're not sure.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Smoke
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Smoke » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:39 am

Thanks for the info guys! I did check the oil pressure and it was in the white area of the gauge. Te reference to the year as a 1946 came from the gentleman I purchased the tractor from? Lol he's a great old guy but not sure his memory is as sharp as it once was. Very understandable I forget things often and I'm 26 years younger.
Thanks again!

Smoke
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Smoke » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:49 am

One more quick ?. I see in the pictorial the adjustment handle on the tractor. Is that needed for the moldboard plow? I assumed all the lifting was done via hydraulics? There I go thinking again. Lol
Thanks for the help!

Smoke
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Smoke » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:55 am

Btw: I picked up the tractor and all the implements for $1650.00. I thought that was a pretty good price but not knowing anything about cud tractors wasn't sure.

So if I didn't get a deal lemme know.

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:10 am

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you will need the adjustment handle, the manual will explain better than I can. :D

If you thought it was a pretty good price then that is all that matters! :wink: (also sounds to me you got a good deal!)
David

Smoke
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Smoke » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:24 am

Well I checked what year is my cub? It's a 1947. So at least I know that much.
David i think so too.

I don't see in the manual where the adjustment handle attaches but now that I know it needs to be used I can prob muddle thru it!
Again thanks for all the help so far! Great informative site with all the info you could ask for.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:48 am

Smoke wrote:I don't see in the manual where the adjustment handle attaches

Todd, the picture below shows how to attach the handle to the right final drive. Onec you have it mounted the rest will be easy.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Smoke
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Smoke » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:45 pm

Thanks barnyard but I don't see the picture your referring to?

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the website. The lever that sticks up to the right of the seat is the draft control lever, it raises or lowers the front of the plow beam. You need it to make the plow work right.
You might not have the right side chain like it shows in the pics, or the bracket for it, some did not have that, I had one once without it.
The link to the TM Tractor pics Barnyard posted shows the lever near the bottom of the page.
Here it is again. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gim ... ow_001.htm

Smoke
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Smoke » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:45 pm

Ahh I sees it now! Lol I'm gonna be plowing up some dirt tomorrow! I have all the necessary brackets I just went and checked! I'll be smelling freshly plowed dirt soon!
Thanks!

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:57 am

Congratulations on your Cub! That's quite a haul of implements, I'd say you got a GREAT deal! :coffee: FWIW many 47 Cubs didn't have touch control so it seems someone went all in when they purchased it. ...and welcome to the best Cub site there is! Lot's of knowledgeable folks here to help if you need it and lots of really helpful info listed above in the header. BTW - we love pictures!
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Smoke
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Smoke » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:26 pm

Well here's an update. Thanks to all The help I got the plow hooked mounted and all the parts were in the "pile" except for a couple like a 5/8-11 nut and a pin. I ended up plowing about 1 - 1 1/2 acres in 3 1/2 hours and after bringing it back to the workshop and cleaning up the upper portion of the blade it really rolled the dirt over nice. Happy with how it worked. Now for the rest of the implements. I was going to run a disk over it today but we've had 3" of rain since last night and it's a sloppy mess right now, so I'll wait until it dries out.

Return to “Farmall Cub”