This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

First big mow with the sickle mower

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Re: First big mow with the sickle mower

Postby DickB » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:52 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:If you'll reference Yogie's picture above, here are the dimensions of the one I have. I'm not positive that it is OEM as one corner (lower right) comes to a point and is not cut off like Yogie's.
The piece is made of 1/2" plate
top edge (notch to left and hole on right): 6 1/2"
right edge (two holes): 6 1/2" to pointed corner
bottom side: 8 1/2" to cut corner, 1" is cut off the corner. The notch is not perpendicular to the top side but is angled towards the top bolt hole.
center of notch to center of top hole (probably not a critical dimension): 4 3/4"
the two holes are 4" center to center to match the bell housing implement pad holes
holes are 5/8" D, notch is 1/2" D
Let me know if you need more dimensions. If someone needs one, I can fab up a few.

Bob

Bob, that might be just the ticket for me! PM me, please, if you want to fab some up. Not fully understanding how it works, is that welded up eyebolt essential?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:10 pm

Dick, PM sent. The eye bolt is used to anchor the tractor to the trailer when hauling.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:26 pm

I WANT ONE!!! :{_}:

I need to hold up my scraper blade when I use my fast hitch! I would be happy to buy one if someone has the skill to fabricate one!!!!!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

clintmo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26033
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:00 pm

twotone, I have been using vice grips positioned on the drag bar for the stay rod to rest against to keep the mower up straight when traveling and parking. Not great looking but it takes up a lot less room in the building. That was an idea I got at the Barnyard Bash for hauling the Cub back home with the newly installed mower.

Clint

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:20 pm

My part was made by me and I have no idea what the IH part looked like. You can make it out of about anything you want and just use the one hole in the tube if you want to...
You can also put a bend in the rod holding your cutter bar up to make it stand straighter or cut some of the loop out and re-bend it a little shorter.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:19 pm

Hi,
Here are some pages from the Cub 22 mower owner's manual. They show the hold up piece.
It shows that the bottom corner is pointed. They originally had another clevis that you put in the chain, that held up the mower to the hold up piece.
I have one of the hold ups, that I think is an IH one, and the bottom corner is pointed. Click on the pics makes them bigger. :)

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... e%2015.jpg

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... e%2018.jpg

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:07 am

Thanks or the info Clint. I'll give it a try.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:27 pm

001.JPG

Bob McCarty's fine work! He made for me the triangular piece that holds up the sicklebar while allowing the touch control to move about without the sicklebar digging into the ground. I put it on this afternoon as soon as it arrived in the mail. Primed by Bob, but I'll eventually paint it blue. I've used a left over hook from a strap arrangement to link the sicklebar chain to the triangular piece. Don't know how I lived without this piece before. Thanks greatly, Bob.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:38 pm

twotone wrote:I'd like to know how to get my cutter bar to stand up straighter when in travel position. mine hangs out pretty far.

Raised or lowered?

The bar should be at about a 90 degree angle to the arm attaching it to the mule drive. This is achieved with the transport rod. If it's not 90 degrees the transport rod is too long or stretched out.

Raised the cutter bar should be just about straight vertical, leaning out only slightly.

Lowered, you can't do much about. When I am transporting the mower rig, I use a cam buckle tiedown like one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-cap ... 60761.html

and lash the top of the cutter bar back to the TC arm to keep it from hanging out too far.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:25 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:......The bar should be at about a 90 degree angle to the arm attaching it to the mule drive. This is achieved with the transport rod. If it's not 90 degrees the transport rod is too long or stretched out.
SAY WHAT????????? Maybe it's because I've been fighting computer communications problems all day at work and my brain is mashed potatoes, but, I don't understand a word of this explanation. :? :? :?

Matt Kirsch wrote:..................................When I am transporting the mower rig, I use a cam buckle tiedown like one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-cap ... 60761.html
and lash the top of the cutter bar back to the TC arm to keep it from hanging out too far.
I use about an 18 or 24" black rubber bungee . One hook in the top of the lift chain and the other end hooked into whichever knife clip stretches the bungee. Usually store it hooked between the fenders under the seat.

Return to “Farmall Cub”