This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

First big mow with the sickle mower

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
clintmo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26033
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
55 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: First big mow with the sickle mower

Postby clintmo » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:30 pm

Very slick, Yogie. Beautiful Cub, too! What's going on in the bottom pic? Also, how did you lengthen the drag bar?

I improved my situation a bit by getting a new bolt and cupping out the end a bit and grinding a sharper edge around it. I also have a regular nut in place as a jam nut. I tightened it down as much as i could and locked it in place. It's stayed put for an hour or so of mowing so far. I enjoy using this mower a great deal. So efficient.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:03 am

Yogie wrote:
clintmo wrote:
Smokeycub wrote:I can't imagine the drag bar support falling out even if it wasn't bolted, they are a real bear to install. Anything's possible I suppose.

Notice the state that Yogie and I are posting from. These West Virginia hills have everything to do with it.

Yogie, I'd like to see pics of those mods. Sounds pretty solid.

Really impressive, Yogie. Cannot,however, figure out that triangular piece with the eyebolt in it, the chain coming on to it and going on up to the TC lever arm. What's it? And really like the all blue of the sicklebar set up. Thinking to make that red-to-blue repaint a project here. Thanks for photos.

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:20 pm

Thanks, I have that triangle piece on all of my mowing tractors. Not sure but I think you could buy them at one time. When hauling my tractors I lift the blade flat handed against the cutter bar while up and hook the link on this triangle then let the weight off of the hydro. This part holds all the weight when not using the mower making it easier on the system. Once my tractors are parked I usually unhook from the triangle and let the whole weight sit on a large block of wood.
This part is really nice when your hauling your tractor and things are bouncing around... Got to be easier on the hydro system. :wink:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:13 pm

The triangle part (cutter bar support) is made for a fast hitch tractor to hold the mower in a stationary position (up) so you don't have to remove the sickle mower to use the fast hitch for something else. Such as if you went to blade your driveway with a one point blade, every time you lowered the blade the sickle would go down as well.

When I'm hauling something, the implement, loader bucket, bush hog etc. gets lowered onto the trailer deck, not hanging in the air from the hydraulics or suspended from a chain. There's not many places it can go from there. It gives me more surface area touching on the trailer deck. More surface area, more friction, harder to move.

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:29 pm

Lowered to the trailer deck and cub 22 mower would then catch about every road sign you passed....
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:12 pm

Yogie wrote:Lowered to the trailer deck and cub 22 mower would then catch about every road sign you passed....
Really???? You think I'm advocating lowering the sickle bar into the cutting position on a trailer when transporting a Cub 22 attached to a Cub? :? My sincerest apologies, I never imagined someone could or would read that into my statement. What I should have said was to lower the hydraulics with the sickle in the TRANSPORT position since you are transporting the mower from one location to another.

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:00 pm

Sorry for the misunderstanding Scrivet, with my mower up the cutter bar leans out a good foot or more on the end. Letting it down to the floor that way would set the top end out a good 3 feet off the side of the trailer.
Ben Franklin

FarmallCubby1949
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 15059
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub (Rosco)
Serial # 68139
1957 Farmall Cub (Flash) Serial # 199918
1959 Farmall 130 (Bufford) Serial # 1507
1940 Farmall B (Uncle Jessie) Serial # 8696
1953 Farmall Super C (Sam)
Serial # 163814 J
1957 International 350 Utility (Tank) Serial # 8668 S
1946 Farmall M (Boss Hog)
1980 Wheel Horse Work Horse
2003 Sears Craftsman Lt
Woods 59 belly mower for Cub
Woods 59 belly mower for Super C
McCormick 1-F11 Two-Way Moldboard Plow for 130 (Fast-Hitch)
McCormick Cub Two-Way Moldboard Plow (Fast-Hitch)
McCormick Cub-38A Tractor Disk Harrow (Fast-Hitch)-(Cub/130)
McCormick Snow/Grader Blade for 130
McCormick Sickle Mower for 130

Postby FarmallCubby1949 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:07 pm

I really like the way your Cub and sickle mower look. Very nice indeed. That sickle does an awesome job. I'm from South Western PA near the OH line and Nothern Panhandle of WV. We have the same layout here with the hills.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi Clintmo,
Here's what I use for the front rod on my Cub 22 mower. It is a big set screw, with a square head. It has a hollow, pointed end. This digs into the square bar, and holds it in position. It needs retightening after some use, the point keeps working into the bar. It holds good though.
My Dad bought it somewhere, I don't know where. The threads are 2 inches long. Use a lock nut too.
I have the triangle shaped piece on my Cub to hold up the mower, it is for using the Fast Hitch. It is part of a package of parts IH sold years ago for using the Cub 22 mower with a Fast Hitch. :)
Attachments
set screw.jpg
set screw 2.jpg
set screw 3.jpg

clintmo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26033
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:10 pm

Thanks for the info, Glen. That looks a lot like what Don posted a link to earlier. I sort of got the same effect with my modified bolt. Haven't gotten to mow long enough to know how well it will hold up but early tests were promising.

Clint

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:24 am

The special bolt/nut is available at the IH-Case dealer. I bought one there last summer.

Yogie and Scrivet: If I understand you guys right, I'll be able to save the grass around the house. Seems that when I have the sicklebar on the Cub and, say, a cart or a rear carrier on the Fast Hitch, and I lower the Touch Control for some reason that relates to the FH, and...there I go!...sicklebar's digging up the grass all over the place before I realize it. So it seems like what you're describing is that triangular piece holds the sicklebar up off the ground (bar held upright) and the lift mechanism to the TC rocker arm is disconnected so the sicklebar isn't moving up/down. It stays up while the FH goes up/down. And the grass doesn't get roughed up. Have to see if the local IH-Case dealer has that cutter bar support.

Criswell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48180
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub with
- 54 Blade
- 193 Moldboard Plow
- Woods 59 C-2 mower

Postby Criswell » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:57 am

DickB wrote: It stays up while the FH goes up/down. And the grass doesn't get roughed up. Have to see if the local IH-Case dealer has that cutter bar support.

Part number 456 850 R1, unfortunately, no longer available. If someone that has one would be willing to post some measurements or drawings, that would most definitely be appreciated. This looks to be a fairly easy piece to make and a piece that I do not have but would like to have.
Where you are, right now, is of absolutly no use unless you are able to get away from it, FAST!

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:46 pm

I'd like to know how to get my cutter bar to stand up straighter when in travel position. mine hangs out pretty far.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:15 pm

If you'll reference Yogie's picture above, here are the dimensions of the one I have. I'm not positive that it is OEM as one corner (lower right) comes to a point and is not cut off like Yogie's.
The piece is made of 1/2" plate
top edge (notch to left and hole on right): 6 1/2"
right edge (two holes): 6 1/2" to pointed corner
bottom side: 8 1/2" to cut corner, 1" is cut off the corner. The notch is not perpendicular to the top side but is angled towards the top bolt hole.
center of notch to center of top hole (probably not a critical dimension): 4 3/4"
the two holes are 4" center to center to match the bell housing implement pad holes
holes are 5/8" D, notch is 1/2" D
Let me know if you need more dimensions. If someone needs one, I can fab up a few.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

cubbrian
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47631
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub w/9 different 1 point implements
1948 Cub
1948 McCormick W-6
1949 H
1949 M
1961 560 w/ 412 fast hitch plow
1966 140
1973 666
Allis Chalmers C w/sickle mower
Case 400
Economy 14 hp tractor

Postby cubbrian » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:55 pm

I picked up a NOS plate at a red power round up a few years ago. I can bring it with me to the cubtug if anyone wants dimensions.
Brian

Return to “Farmall Cub”