This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fast Hitch Generator

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Fast Hitch Generator

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:16 pm

I was looking at a brochure I just got and it showed one hooked up to the PTO, with a four plug outlet. Will most generators run at variable speed, or would you have to check the PTO rpm's with a tach in order for the output to stay consistent? Looked like it would be fairly easy to put together if the correct generator was available.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Fast Hitch Generator

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:47 pm

I have a 10KW Harbor Freight generator head powered by a 25 HP Kohler engine.

I adjust the engine's RPMs with a multimeter. Multimeter set of 200 AC volts, leads in 120 volt outlet. Adjust engine's RPMs until the multimeter reads 120 volts.

3600 RPMs is where the generator head is to be driven at. Voltage output varies by engine RPMs.

The 10KW generator head has 220 V and 120V meters, nonfunctional.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:41 pm

Panel mount frequency meters are available on eBay. Chinese, two -three weeks for delivery. The power at my house was shown on the meter to be within 2 Hz of 60. I suspect that the meter is inaccurate to that extent and that the power is more closely regulated than 2 Hz. While monitoring the voltage is better than nothing, monitoring the frequency is the better approach. 60 Hz is the ideal. The frequency is directly proportional to the speed of the generator. Even at steady 60 Hz, voltage will drop as the load increases.
Luck favors those who are prepared

DieselDennis
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39042
eBay ID: ccbil
Tractors Owned: '48 Cub (Great Granddaddy's)
And some bigger ones.....

Postby DieselDennis » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:01 pm

"While monitoring the voltage is better than nothing, monitoring the frequency is the better approach. 60 Hz is the ideal. The frequency is directly proportional to the speed of the generator. Even at steady 60 Hz, voltage will drop as the load increases."

This is it. Measure the frequency with the multimeter. You can get it spot on, but won't likely hold it there.
'48 Cub 12V Conversion, Zenith Carb, Electronic Ignition

Clint Carter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27265
Tractors Owned: Ford 2000
78 Cub Fast Hitch Red
78 Cub Red
76 Cub Red
75 Cub (Not Long Stripe) Yellow
70 Cub Yellow Fast Hitch
53 Cub 151 Disk Plow
69 Cub

Postby Clint Carter » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:51 pm

I wanted to build a fast hitch Generator also but looked it to it and found out the same thing. That the Hz. is the main thing. Was told the if it was not at 60 Hz. that it would most likely burn up (Not all) but some of the stuff you plugged up to it. After that i did not do much after that. Would still like to build one if i could find a good way to do so.
Have A Nice Day!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:34 am

It's probably cheaper to purchase a complete generator set than to build one. The generator heads costs about the same as a complete generator set.

Then comes the problem of driving the generator head at 3600 RPMs from the tractor's pto.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60436
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub w/fast hitch restored
1948 Cub w/fast hitch (early style depth control) being restored

Postby Lee_Petrie » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:01 pm

Just get a 4 pole generator , instead of the standard 2 pole variety ! It will put out its voltage, at 1800, so a little playing with the "V" belt pulleys , It worked for me , @ about 20 amps ! Lee Petrie, Joliet,IL.

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60436
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub w/fast hitch restored
1948 Cub w/fast hitch (early style depth control) being restored

Postby Lee_Petrie » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:55 pm

Appears that "4-pole" generator is a bad idea , up here on the forum ! You do realize , that is exactly what they do in a motorhome /camper, for slower speed gen-set , to keep the "noisy engine speed" down and have the correct output,voltage, at 1800 RPMS ! Mine are WWII free standing 4-pole generators , usually belt powered by a Briggs engine , in their Army life !
Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL.

Return to “Farmall Cub”