This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Generator hookup

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stribman
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 30817
Tractors Owned: 47 cub
75 cub

Generator hookup

Postby Stribman » Wed May 27, 2015 8:48 pm

Hi guys, need some help here, everywhere I look drawings show 12 volt cubs have positive ground? I have a 76 cub generator wont charge amp meter reads dead negative, I have it wired negative ground, my question is if I try positive ground wont the starter turn backwards? anyone know witch drawings I should go by , have 12 volt generator, dist. has a magneto but has been converted to coil. all runs well without generator but battery only last about a day. any help thanks.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Generator hookup

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed May 27, 2015 9:28 pm

No, the starter will turn the same way no matter which way the battery is connected. Modern car starters will turn reverse directions, but that is because they have permanent magnets for fields rather than electrical windings. The 6 volt systems were all Positive (+) ground, but all the 12 volt systems from International I have seen were negative (-) ground. If your battery is presently connected negative ground you may need to polarize the generator. Do this by briefly jumping from the BAT terminal of the regulator to the GEN terminal with the tractor not running. A small spark is normal. Do NOT jump to the FLD. terminal. I assume by you having a magneto your cub is probably not a 76, only the generator is.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Stribman
5+ Years
5+ Years
75 cub

Postby Stribman » Thu May 28, 2015 4:12 pm

I saw something on youtube about checking gen , by using a battery , positive to field negative to ground and gen will spin up, then while still spinning hook positive to armature and gen will slow suddenly means gen ok?? can anyone confirm this? mine did, but also without belt generator will spin when tractor switched on. only wont charge when tractor cranked with belt on. Seems to me would be bad to leave tractor switched on and not running? I am thinking my voltage regulator is bad?? or miss wired. back to the tractor serial number indicates it is a 75 but it do have a magneto , guess someone had it added ? but coil from magneto is not used and a separate coil is added. but thanks for your help.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu May 28, 2015 8:33 pm

Your generator should not spin when the switch is turned on. I believe you have a wiring problem.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu May 28, 2015 9:32 pm

Bigdog wrote:Your generator should not spin when the switch is turned on. I believe you have a wiring problem.
or stuck points in voltage regulator.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Stribman
5+ Years
5+ Years
75 cub

Postby Stribman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:25 pm

I went by auto zone , now have sticker shock they wanted 90 bucks for voltage reg, Im waiting on one from ebay for 28

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:07 am

Good luck with that $28 regulator. You'll probably need it.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Stribman
5+ Years
5+ Years
75 cub

Postby Stribman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:32 pm

ok guys , thanks for your help , took old regulator apart was rusted and coils burnt, new one working fine, 14.5 at fast idle, again thanks for your help.