This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

replacing woods 59 mower blades

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.
Circle of Safety: Y

replacing woods 59 mower blades

Postby Papa's Cub » Tue May 12, 2015 1:11 pm

:lost: I decided to change the blades on my Woods 59 mower this morning. I drove the cub up on the loading ramps of the pickup so I could reach the blade bolts without having to remove the deck. The bolts from the outside spindles came right off using an electric impact wrench but the center one would not budge at all. I tried 5 or 6 times without success . Does anybody have a suggestion that might be easier than removing the deck and hauling it 7 miles just to find someone with a torch to apply a little heat to it. Seems like I read in the manual not to tighten these bolts to tight because they were self locking bolts. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, Tom.posting.php?mode=post&f=1#
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cub.bub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46628
Tractors Owned: 55 cub, 54a blade, (2) woods L59 mower...Allis Chalmers CA
1965 International 140, 60" grader blade.

Re: replacing woods 59 mower blades

Postby cub.bub » Tue May 12, 2015 1:20 pm

I'm no expert...but I think there are left and right handed threads on the 59 decks, left side discharge and right side discharge that would be the difference on the threads.
Hope ya didn't tighten too much in the wrong direction? They can be difficult, they have been on a long time, i had a heck of a time getting mine off too.
Bruce.

rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rick 48 cub » Tue May 12, 2015 1:53 pm

Be very careful with your heaviest box end wrench and a long piece of pipe and a piece of wood to hold the blade still. (Who said that I could move the earth if I had a long enough breaker bar.) My woods 59" did not have reverse threads like an old mopar wheel. Before re-installing, I usually put never-sieze or some other anti-galling compound on the bolt after I clean the threads in the wire brush bench grinder. That way next time it will be a lot easier!

In the worst case scenario, I suppose if the bolt breaks off you can get the blade removed and take the bearing hub off the mower deck in order to drill it out for re-tapping.
Rick 1948 cub

Criswell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48180
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub with
- 54 Blade
- 193 Moldboard Plow
- Woods 59 C-2 mower

Postby Criswell » Tue May 12, 2015 2:16 pm

I had replaced the blades on my Woods 59 about two weeks ago and before I did I put a call into Woods to ask about a torque spec. for the blade bolts. The new Ny-lok bolts from Woods are grade 5 and this quote is coming straight from the guys at Woods:
"unless a torque spec. is stated in the manual, tighten the bolts to the torque that is listed in the chart in the back of the manual."
As per their technical guys and their manual, in the case of a grade 5, 5/8" bolt, they want them torqued to 170 lbs-ft. All I know is that is what the manufacturer recommends. Fortunately I did not have any problems removing the bolts, the wrench from Woods did "help" with the blade removal/installation, but we'll see what happens next time.
Where you are, right now, is of absolutly no use unless you are able to get away from it, FAST!

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue May 12, 2015 4:34 pm

Ditto to what Rick said. I'm guessing that since you got the two outside bolts out, that you are turning it in the right direction. I know that the center spindle on my Woods is always harder to get off than the other two, and it is a true bitch to try to get it off when the deck is still on the tractor.

Contrary to what the Woods techs told Criswell, I cannot recommend torquing them to 170 ft-lbs. I just snug them up when replacing blades, and the center is still difficult to get off.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.

Postby Papa's Cub » Wed May 13, 2015 11:14 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take the mower from under the cub this coming weekend and try to loosen the center bolt with a cheater bar. Thanks again, Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

Sailor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 42261
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
Ser.# 16812
1938 Farmall F-14
Ser# 131806

Postby Sailor » Wed May 13, 2015 9:46 pm

I don't know if they are still made but I have what is called a nut splitter. You slip it over the nut and torque it down until the "knife" splits the nut in half.... works great.
1948 Cub
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grading Blade
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cub-189 Moldboard Plow (direct-Connected, One Bottom, Two-way)
Woods 59 Mower

Return to “Farmall Cub”