This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lost Spark!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DanielV2
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70401

Lost Spark!

Postby DanielV2 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:35 am

I cranked up the '49 over the weekend to cultivate my garden and when it started, it was running pretty rough. I decided to give it a try as is and of course it died on me in the field and I could not get it to crank. I dragged it back to the shop and went hunting. I found that cyl. 3 and 2 had lost spark. I pulled those plug wires off the distributor and stuck by volt meter lead into the socket to see if I could ground it out but nothing happened. I ran out of time this weekend to go any furthur. I was going to open up the magneto and check the points and condenser next. Does anyone have any better suggestions? It is a magnetor with an external coil.

Thanks, Daniel V

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Lost Spark!

Postby SONNY » Mon May 11, 2015 11:52 am

No matter if magneto or distributor it sounds to me like bad cap.--look in the back of the cap for carbon tracking or just really black/burned wire holes---they all should be clean.--also make sure the wires are good and the right type.---I always use solid copper core wires on mine. thanks; sonny

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue May 12, 2015 7:08 am

It could be the cap but I think it's most likely that your point gap has closed a little. The points only set at .013", so it doesn't take much wear on the rub block to lose your gap. A general magneto servicing is in order.

DanielV2
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70401

Postby DanielV2 » Sat May 16, 2015 5:23 pm

Point gap was almost zero. Adjusted to .013 and all is well. Thanks guys!

Return to “Farmall Cub”