This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

transmission

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
longtimedriver
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06237
Tractors Owned: 50 cub
74 lowboy (2)

transmission

Postby longtimedriver » Sun May 10, 2015 7:02 pm

As I took apart our cub the pieces keep getting smaller and smaller. Upon removing the carrier bearings I noticed pitting so there bad,and some rust and pitting on the ring teeth. Not sure how to judge that. The ring is riveted to the carrier, different. My Dad bought it new in 1950 ,I learned how to drive on it. The mainshaft it gone at the pto end, but hey it ran a sickle bar for 65 years. I read their is a new setup so that won't happen again? a bearing with a cage? I want the best for the cub Its very special to me. Has anyone ever added a breather to this trans,would it help. Thanks for looking

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: transmission

Postby bob in CT » Sun May 10, 2015 7:41 pm

You have some options.

I bought a used gear set from a Cub Cadet and installed it in my original case. They have low hours and usually have been kept in a garage.

The mainshaft can be ground or turned and you can used a sealed bearing. The original bearing used the mainshaft as a bearing surface and once that bis pitted, both the shaft and bearing need to be replaced.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: transmission

Postby bob in CT » Sun May 10, 2015 7:45 pm

Return to “Farmall Cub”