This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

crank pulley

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DaveB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01516

crank pulley

Postby DaveB » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:59 pm

I just installed a repro crank pulley on my cub using a bolt and plate on face of pulley. I used a wrench to draw pulley into timing cover with threaded rod and it did not take much force to draw the pulley in. I saw video using air gun and looked like it took a lot to install pulley. Has anyone used a bolt and washer to make sure pulley will not walk off Thanks for any help Dave.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: crank pulley

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:13 pm

Dave, The press fit of the pulley on the shaft should be tight enough that no bolt is needed. Did it just slip on, or did it still take some force with the wrench to get it slide on? The repro pulley did need a key didn't it?

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

DaveB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DaveB » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:27 pm

The repro pulley does use the same key as the original. I did have to keep the engine from turning over while I was drawing the pulley on. I did use some force but seemed easy compared to video on you tube. Dave

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:15 pm

I installed my front pulley per Raymond Durbin's post, and though it took a bit of force, was surprisingly smooth. I had used a lot of never seize, several washers, and a second box wrench hooked onto the first for added leverage. So far it has been fine! Only hardware used is the Woodruff key...you did put that in place, right?

I agree that it was SO much easier than I had heard or seen. No heating, no pounding, so very little chance of peripheral damage!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

DaveB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DaveB » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi Dale, Yes I did use the key. It did take some force but it went on smooth. I was expecting a bit of fight. Maybe I am just worrying to much, I just hate the thought of taking this apart again. Dave

seabeelt
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02878
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub

Postby seabeelt » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:37 am

Not to hijack the thread, but... Are folks finding the replacement pulley's sufficiently smooth and at the right diameter at the seal i.e. the right dimension to prevent leaks.? Real point of the question is do I need to order the wear sleeve from TM. Don't want to have to pull this baby twice. Literally had to break the old one in half to get it off.
Many thanks as always

Return to “Farmall Cub”