This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

old girl got the sputters

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mac
10+ Years
10+ Years

old girl got the sputters

Postby mac » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:49 pm

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get rid of the sputters? She will be running allright then she will start to break up whether i'm at low speed operation or at a higher work load. The plugs,wires,mag are all new and the carb was just gone threw. I have tried to adjust the air screw and it seems to work one minute then.... Any ideas?????? thanks I'll be over here sputtering along.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:00 pm

Check that the fuel is flowing well from the tank to the outlet that goes into the carb. While I had my temporary small tank on mine if the tank tipped or the line crimped it would start to sputter. Try pullin the choke just a bit and see if cleans up. Hope that helps.
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

mac
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mac » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:03 pm

how many turns should the air screw be out

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:12 pm

I use 1 1/2 and the go from there. A coil, (mag sams thing) cando it but the moer likely cause is obstructded carb jet. Try the pull choke as ment2ioned earlier. If t2hat helps probably fuel related. If mot spark releated. Timing, point adjustment or dirty, coil failing under heat and stress, leaky plug wires or condensor failing can do what yoy talk about. First try the chaok pull out to prove or elimenate fuel.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:16 pm

Mac another thing to check is those new plug wires. You mentioned a mag. Mags need metal core plug wires, not the composite core wires. These may be causing you some problems if they are not metallic core. You may also still have some dirt in the fuel tank that does not consistently block tank output. A drain and flush of the gas tank may be in order.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”