This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hood is misaligned with top of dogleg

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44236
Tractors Owned: 48 FCub
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Hood is misaligned with top of dogleg

Postby lyle11 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:40 pm

This is my first post. I have found this site to be a extremely helpful over the years and it has helped me resolve every Cub problem I have encountered up to this point so I have never had a need to post a question. I really appreciate the help over the years. I fixed up a 1948 FCub a few years ago and bought a Cub Lowboy, year unknown, but red with a round hood, last fall. When I bought the Lowboy the doglegs were welded to the hood and the bottom of the doglegs did not line up with the threaded holes in the bolster. I removed the doglegs from the hood with a hacksaw and file and bought a set of aftermarket doglegs. I put the hood install on hold as I painted parts and replaced castings. I am now getting near the point when I will be ready to reinstall the hood. I loosely attached the radiator and set the hood in place. As you can see from the photo the hood doesn't line up with the dogleg when the bottom of the dogleg is fastened to the bolster.
image.jpg

The alignment problem is the same on both sides of the hood. As you can see, there is about a 1/4" gap at the front where the hood and dogleg should be in line. The hood is resting on top of the radiator and can go no lower. The only way I can make the hood parallel to the top of the dogleg is to elevate the rear of the hood at the tank support (dash) by about 1". My Tank Support is short eared style and is about 9 1/4" total height from the very bottom to the top of the flange that bolts to the tank. It has been welded at the corners but doesn't appear to have been altered.

Even after I elevate the rear of the hood/tank by the tank support, the front of the hood, although lined up is about 1/4" too high and can go no lower because it is contacting the radiator. The radiator has a little plate from a local shop and has been worked on at some point. The upper hose lines up perfectly. I replaced the front bolster and this one is weld free and very flat where the radiator sits.

I also noticed, although this is probably common, the gap where the hood is welded to the gas tank is narrow at the top of the tank, but larger on the sides. It does not appear to have every been repaired or altered. This results in what appears to be a slight upward slant from where the hood meets the tank to the front of the hood.

The logical thing to do would be to try the hood from my other Cub but it is located at my farm which is a not so convenient 700 miles away.

So. I see the following possiblilites:

- Radiator is too tall.
- Tank support is too short. Perhaps altered at some point.
- Hood is warped or distorted, perhaps from welding the doglegs to it. (It appears to be fine but have no other hood available to try or compare.)
- Some combination of the above.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hood is misaligned with top of dogleg

Postby Eugene » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:56 am

My thought. Record the casting date from the tractor's major components. Try to determine the year of manufacture from the casting dates.

Once you have an approximate year/date of manufacturer you can determine the hood style.

It's quite possible that a previous owner changed the hood on the tractor.

Edit: My first name is Lyle. It was at one time quite common in central Iowa.

Appointment scheduled at local hospital for mammogram on sliver in finger. At the appointed time the nurse comes out and asks for Lyle. I get up and follow the nurse. Nurse says take off your pants. I ask why I'm taking off my pants when the mammogram is for my finger. Nurse again says take off your pants. I said I'm here to have the mammogram done on my finger.

Nurse asks if I am Lyle S------? I say no. So we go back to the waiting room. This time the nurse asks for Lyle S------ by first and last name.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:38 am

What Eugene says makes sense. From what I can see of your hood it does appear to be a newer style of the round hood. The 47-49 hood has 3 embossed "lines" that run front to back.
get-attachment2.jpg
get-attachment2.jpg (38.58 KiB) Viewed 621 times

If it turns out your hood is the right style though, obviously something else is going on.

lyle11 wrote:the gas tank is narrow at the top of the tank, but larger on the sides. It does not appear to have every been repaired or altered. This results in what appears to be a slight upward slant from where the hood meets the tank to the front of the hood.

While I don't have a definitive answer I don't think there should be a "slight slant", it should be straight across. To further compound your problem the hood isn't supposed to sit on the radiator. Usually there are small brackets that bolt to the radiator supports at the top and the hood bolts to those.

lyle11 wrote:My Tank Support is short eared style and is about 9 1/4" total height from the very bottom to the top of the flange that bolts to the tank.

I'll measure my 49 to see if it's any different.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:36 am

The radiator for later the model cub is a different (taller) height from what I have read on the forum. Maybe the one on your loboy has been changed at some point. I have a '57 LoBoy with the round red hood with the flat sides for the emblem mounting and the hood/doglegs fit good. I can measure something if you need to compare. PM or post msg and I'll try to help. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

torchred89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20164
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall cub

Postby torchred89 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:47 am

Smokeycub wrote:What Eugene says makes sense. From what I can see of your hood it does appear to be a newer style of the round hood. The 47-49 hood has 3 embossed "lines" that run front to back.
get-attachment2.jpg

If it turns out your hood is the right style though, obviously something else is going on.

lyle11 wrote:the gas tank is narrow at the top of the tank, but larger on the sides. It does not appear to have every been repaired or altered. This results in what appears to be a slight upward slant from where the hood meets the tank to the front of the hood.

While I don't have a definitive answer I don't think there should be a "slight slant", it should be straight across. To further compound your problem the hood isn't supposed to sit on the radiator. Usually there are small brackets that bolt to the radiator supports at the top and the hood bolts to those.

lyle11 wrote:My Tank Support is short eared style and is about 9 1/4" total height from the very bottom to the top of the flange that bolts to the tank.

I'll measure my 49 to see if it's any different.
The 47-49 hood has 3 embossed "lines" that run front to back. I have a 51 with that hood. Now I know why there was 4 holes for the down pieces. So it would match up with the hood.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:18 am

staninlowerAL wrote:The radiator for later the model cub is a different (taller) height from what I have read on the forum. Maybe the one on your loboy has been changed at some point. I have a '57 LoBoy with the round red hood with the flat sides for the emblem mounting and the hood/doglegs fit good. I can measure something if you need to compare. PM or post msg and I'll try to help. Stan

I'm with Stan on this. You mention the radiator has a tag from a local shop. Quite possible the top of the radiator has been replaced with something taller or the entire radiator was replaced.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:34 am

you said you replaced the doglegs with new aftermarket ones, if they are like aftermarket auto parts a lot of times they don't fit correctly. try borrowing a set of originals and give those a try.

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks for the replies. It may very well be the radiator but I noticed TM only sells one. I am gonna take some pictures and measurements and post them. Here is some more info:

- Casting dates are mixed. Transmission and Hydraulic unit manufactured in 1955. Torque Tube 1948 or 1970. Engine is 1969. I replaced the bolster, both finals, and I did not note the old casting dates. Best guess is it is a 55. PO had no record of the SN.

- The air cleaner pipe only protrudes from the hood approximately 3/8" to 1/2" so the hood is sitting too high. It is a short style air cleaner and a PO actually spread the pipe and crammed an "inside the pipe" cap on it because there was no room to fit the proper cap on.

- I was not aware that there are differences in the fit of the hoods other than the bars on the side and the routing of the exhaust pipe. I am familiar with the 3 bar style on my 48 Cub. This is a flat sided hood with the "International Cub" emblem on the side. The hood brackets that fasten to the radiator sides have been moved to a location back and higher on the hood than the proper location. They are not restricting the hood now but will have to be moved to the right location if I stay with this hood. In fact, on one side there are 2 hood supports, the original lines up with forwardmost holes in the radiator side support and the other lines up roughly with the rear hole on the side support. So, a PO had them moved to try to match up with the side support.

I am going to remove the radiator and see if things line up with the radiator out of the way. It is empty and loosely attached until I resolve the issues with the fit of the hood.

Eugene, I was born in 1957 and grew up in Wisconsin. My mother originally spelled my name "Lisle". Man I hated that. Most times when a new teacher saw it when taking roll call they hestitated and said "Leslie?". It really isn't that hard. Just "isle" with an L in front. I finally had the spelling changed when I was 22 to Lyle and got that changed at the local Social Security office where I lived in Oklahoma, but I still got SS statements that listed me as Lisle. Oddly enough, I worked with another guy named Lyle who was a tractor nut and actually left the job to work for a tractor museum in California. He went by the name of Mac rather than Lyle. I like my name. I just disliked the non conventional spelling.

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:20 pm

Here are a couple photos of the radiator with a ruler. Roughly 17 1/2" tall and about 16" to the center of the pipe. Can someone tell me of this appears to be out of spec?

Thanks
image.jpg

image.jpg

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:52 pm

lyle11 wrote:Roughly 17 1/2" tall and about 16" to the center of the pipe.

That is exactly what I just measured on one I have.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:28 pm

Thanks Barnyard. So, it appears that my radiator is the correct height. It is in good shape with no leaks and on the one hand I did not want to replace it, but there is no way this hood will work with this radiator with doglegs attached properly. I see why the PO did what he did. If I can find a hood that works I will get one, but other than the relocation of hood support brackets and welding the doglegs I can't see a flaw with this hood that would throw it off like this. I am attaching a few photos in case something stands out to someone.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:53 pm

BTW, unrelated to my issue but since I was taking pictures I found another use for Cub wheel weights while a replaced my fuel pump.
image.jpg

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:33 pm

Second picture shows 2 hood support brackets,on the hood on one side. Obviously, some weird PO repair.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:15 pm

lyle11 wrote:The hood brackets that fasten to the radiator sides have been moved to a location back and higher on the hood than the proper location. They are not restricting the hood now but will have to be moved to the right location if I stay with this hood.

Looks like PO swapped the radiator support brackets left to right, resulting in the threaded bolt hole for the tank to be in the wrong spot to fit the bracket on the tank. Looks like his fix was just to add a second bracket!!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:53 pm

Hood looks mangled, would not expect it to align properly. May have been caused by stupidity.