This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

govener rod adjustment

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mac
10+ Years
10+ Years

govener rod adjustment

Postby mac » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:54 pm

How much slack should I have in my ajustment from the rod to the carb? Spinning the rod in or out will give me what result and how will this effect high and low rpms. I have had the carb rebuilt and it runs great on the high rpm load but for some reason I can not get her to idle down and stay down before she starts climbing up on the idle. What do you guys think gov or more carb adjustments.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:03 am

Hi Mike,
I'm sorry but I can't reply to your question, Bigdog has copied the instruction manual and I copy his reply here, it helped me hope it does the same for you!
"reading from the cub manual "with the engine stopped, advance the engine speed control lever to about half speed." disconnect governor to carburetor control rod {either end} hold carburetor throttle against its stop in the wide open position and adjust length of the governor to carburetor control rod so that it may be reconnected freely without moving the throttle lever or governor lever. next lengthen control rod one turn from the above condition and reconnect. Move the operators engine speed control lever a few times between half and low speed position to check for binding."
May I butt in on your post on a similar subject?
On the govenor there are 2 ajustments, can someone please tell us what they are and how they affect the running of the engine.
There is one on the front face perilously close to the fan with a double flat bolt and a nut and on the top a bolt with lock nut and a hole for security wire.
I ask this question because Baby is very fierce on the govenor, each slot on the quadrant makes an enormous difference BUT only on the middle 3 slots, before - nothing, after- cant get the throttle any further

Thanks Mike and all,
Pat

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:49 pm

The service manual does a decent job of explaining some of it. I was doing something else when a friend adjusted the idle using the 'perilously close to the fan' nut on the governor and the carb yoke/rod.
I never did do the 'full' adjustments on the carb or the governor, but the governor 'nut' and setting the yoke to the carb did give me a nice idle. The higher speeds seem to be ok and the governor seems to work fine under a load.

Obviously I sould have paid closer attention!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”