This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dead 6V battery

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:06 pm

6 volt batteries aren't big sellers any more. Check the manufacture date - make sure you buy a recent one.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Electronic chargers

Postby Mac from NS » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:59 am

Charles (49) Mo wrote:Have found that these new fancy chargers will not charge a completely dead battery. They need a referance voltage to work. An old charger often brings a basket case battery back to life.

This is what I found with my cleaning tank, so I put a battery between the
charger and the tank. Works like a charm now.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70403

Postby Joey » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:49 am

jniekamp: I've also seen a battery explode, in my friend's face. Been leery ever since about fooling with batteries. Have a healthy respect for them.

Mr. George: thanks for the suggestion, I'll look for a VOM.

John *.?-!.* cub owner: The tractor is connected positive ground, always has been. I think the problem with the first battery was not polarizing the generator (learned that from this forum), but I've been polarizing this battery every time it got disconnected and reconnected (not very often). Have to check on the overcharging possibility.

I'll bring the battery in and see what they can do with it. If I have to buy another one, think I'll try a different brand. Will check the date, also!

Thanks for the help! I'll get back with the results.

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:33 am

If you need to replace the battery, try to see if you can find a stockist who sells batteries "DRY", that is without the acid actually in the battery but in separate bottles. When you are ready, just add the acid and you have a completely brand new, never been used, never rested on a shelf for 5 years, CUB battery.
Costs no more than normal, you have to handle the acid, but the last one I bought was "Bosch" and had a little filler that fitted on the plastic acid bottle for filling, hope you overcome,
Pat

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70403

Postby Joey » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:29 pm

Well, took the battery off and brought it in to get checked.....the computer said "replace battery". Told the guy that the battery was just purchased... he looked in his computer register and, lo and behold, there it was - May7, 2005. Not even 3 months old! He promptly replaced it, but I had him check the date of manufacture and it was April 2005. I'm going to try this battery and see what happens. Ordered a battery load tester and will get a voltmeter also. Figure I can use both of them at some time.

Brought the battery home, installed it, polarized it, cranked up at the bump of the starter, and spent 3 hours mowing grass. I noticed, though, the the ammeter showed a slight discharge of the battery when the tractor was running. Shouldn't it be on the positive side after running for a while? Is this an indication the generator is not charging?

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:29 am

Joey
yes you are right, after starting it will charge fairly hard, if the regulator is working properly that will drop as the battery charges, but will stay on the + side whilst mowing, dropping back to 0 or even - on slow tickover.
Just check though that the ammeter is correctly installed, not reversed in the wiring. With everything connected up, engine off, turn the lights on, the ammeter should register -, if this is so the ammeter is correct.
Soulds like you might need to have the generator looked at along with the regulator, an auto electrical speciaist should be able to do that for you fairly quickly, ask your garage who they would use, that is if you can trust them!
Hope you get to the root of the problem, best wishes,
pat

Return to “Farmall Cub”