This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oil leak around clutch pedal shaft

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JBJohnson
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43110
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub

Oil leak around clutch pedal shaft

Postby JBJohnson » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:41 am

Hello to all "Cubbers" I have noticed a small amount of oil leaks out around the shaft that the clutch pedal and left brake pedal pivot on when I have driven the tractor for a while, is this something that I should be concerned about and what would be the probable causes? I am guessing it probably has a bad seal somewhere but would welcome some insight on the matter and if it is something serious, how serious?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Oil leak around clutch pedal shaft

Postby tst » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:07 am

Probably a transmission leak, check the oil level in the trans and make sure its not over full also

cub.bub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46628
Tractors Owned: 55 cub, 54a blade, (2) woods L59 mower...Allis Chalmers CA
1965 International 140, 60" grader blade.

Postby cub.bub » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:10 am

I don't think it is any oil from the engine, that location is kind of high in the torque tube, if it were you would be having oil running from the clutch inspection area.
It could be hydraulic oil making its way to the shaft from the left side or bottom of unit. Just a guess, someone else will know.
Bruce.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:26 am

I suggest removing the clutch inspection cover and checking there, but do not be surprised to get a puddle of oil when you do. I have never known oil to come out that point, are you sure someone didn't oil that shaft and it is dripping down, or the control rod from the TC leaking and it running around the base of the touch control and then running down the side? Either way, I suggest checking the oil level in the transmission, it may be over full, only supposed to have 3 1/2 pints.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:40 pm

If the oil leak were from the transmission or engine, and at that level, you would be having clutch problems. Either slipping or chattering clutch.
I have an excuse. CRS.

cub.bub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46628
Tractors Owned: 55 cub, 54a blade, (2) woods L59 mower...Allis Chalmers CA
1965 International 140, 60" grader blade.

Postby cub.bub » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:19 pm

I think someone played an April fools prank on ya! :lol:
I can't imagine where this fluid would be coming from, if it were either tranny or engine oil and fluid leaking from that point in the torque tube (clutch shaft) you'd be smokin an engine or tranny or both.
Let me know what ya find.
Bruce.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:27 pm

Is there a grease fitting on your pedal shaft? Some had one (may have been the brake pedal? don't remember for sure) The grease could be breaking down and dripping. Just a thought...

Or did you recently spray penetrating oil on the shaft or around the pedals?
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

JBJohnson
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43110
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub

Postby JBJohnson » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Thanks for the comments guys, I will try to address some of them. I have had the shaft out recently as I removed pedals and floor-board for cleaning and painting but I am pretty sure I used only heavy grease on the shaft when I reinstalled it. There has been some chattering type noise from time to time but it seems to come from the tranny and not the clutch area, no smoke and the clutch operates perfectly so I don't believe the problem is there. When I recently changes the old oil in the tranny it came out watery then gooey. I drove it a little while (ten minutes) with diesel fuel in the tranny to clean it out some then replaced the oil but I did it by the book so I don't think I overfilled. The diesel did seep out around the shaft though and then I noticed the oil later seeping out from around the shaft. I will be driving the tractor again a little this weekend (weather permitting) so I will double check everything and see if the issue persists. Thanks Again-JBJ

Return to “Farmall Cub”