This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Brake confusion

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Brake confusion

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:13 pm

Ohio Tom wrote:..........
I'm fairly certain the band simply broken or rusted away; when I unlock the petal from the other one it drops WAY down, a lot farther than I think it could possibly go if it was still pinned in place. It does make me wonder what condition the drum will be in, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
yup, had one that the spot weld came loose, did the same thing, just fell down.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:17 pm

To get back to your brake problem, as John pointed out, I don't think you'll want to go to the effort of changing out the finals just to upgrade to toggle brakes. If you look in the "how to forum" you'll find several posts on removing the finals and evaluating the brakes. The right side is a little harder to put back together because of the length of the shaft. Having a hoist to support the weight and a second pair of hands greatly simplifies the process. Also, you need to wedge the front axle when you remove a rear tire to prevent the Cub from possibly rolling over. Let us know if you have more questions.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:05 pm

Hi,
I didn't see that anyone wrote, but in the pic the Cub also has a long ear dash. Tom, that means the sides of it under the hood are long. Raymond Durban's data says they made them shorter in 1949, at serial number 75926. Probably someone changed the dash, if the tractor is newer than that. If you could get a close up pic of the serial number plate and post it, it might be helpful. :)