This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How to measure Piston Ring Gap, ect?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: How to measure Piston Ring Gap, ect?

Postby Smokeycub » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:27 pm

ricky racer wrote:the manual specifies .003" - .012" end clearance on the cam shaft. It sounds, from your description, like you have a lot more than that.

That makes me think (not always a good thing :lol: ) with excessive end play in the cam shaft there would be an outside chance that one or several cam lobes and or lifters are wearing ( getting wiped). It's nearly unheard of in a C60 but a possibility. Should be easy to see with the engine on a stand.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

CraigKennedy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28430

Postby CraigKennedy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:45 am

Guys last night I found the source of the metal flakes, The #4 exhaust valve has been grinding in the valve guide. I removed all the valves and cam last night, all the valves has a wear on one side of the stem but the #4 exhaust had wear all the way around and I could feel where it had been worn with my finger.
Not to mention that under closer inspection I found smaller metal flakes all around the bad valve and the valve guide has a noticeable scar in it.
While I was there I checked the piston ring gap on #4, the top and bottom compression ring were WAY bigger than .017
Now that this part is over I have to invest in a set of micrometers, bore gauge, to see which way I need to go about rebuilding
will up-date -Craig

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:03 pm

CraigKennedy wrote:Now that this part is over I have to invest in a set of micrometers, bore gauge.
Cheaper to take the engine to a machine shop and have them do the measuring than to invest in measuring tools that you will infrequently use.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”