This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Can A Cub Mow With A Woods 59

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Can A Cub Mow With A Woods 59

Postby Donny M » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:36 pm

Guess so:

Although a few more horse power would be good she pulled through this thick and very wet grass in 2nd gear. It was quite a load so I used 1st in the real thick spots.

After a few inches of much needed rain and being out of town for a good while, I really wouldn't want the grass to be much higher. The Cub mowed just fine :!:
8)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:53 pm

Myth - A Farmall cub cannot mow tall grass with a Wood's 59 mower.

Status - Busted!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Mowed for many years

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:08 pm

Ours works fine. The only thing we did was to install a slightly smaller drive pulley on the PTO output shaft. I'll measure it in a week if anyone wants the diameter.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:07 am

Nice.... I am looking forward to trying the second gear trick. The stuff I mowed with the C-2 was taller and pretty thick, but it did bog the cub in the 'heavy spots.

Is there any difference with 3 blades and it being wider?
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:15 am

Bigdog wrote:Myth - A Farmall cub cannot mow tall grass with a Wood's 59 mower.

Status - Busted!

I 2nd that :D , Busted :D......

I just yesterday finshed a valve adjustment, head gasket r&r, total decarboning of everything, and a complete soup to nuts cleaning of the air cleaner and crank breathers after all that I headed imediatly for the high grass 2 acres of thick 7 inch tall grass and the Cub went thru it like never before in 2nd gear never once stalling or bogging it was unreal to me as I have owned this Cub 13 years and it never mowed good now I know that the problem was that the Cub was not running 100%, so many people have told me that the Cub was not enough tractor for the L59 that I believed them......... The myth is BUSTED :D :D I can't wait for the grass to grow back wow what a surprise :D :D

corvus
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby corvus » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:12 am

Though sometimes you have to raise the deck a bit for the first pass of high stuff:

Definitely first gear mowing, but otherwise no problems. :D

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:13 am

Looks like it's doing a fine job ! Welcome aboard Corvus!
Last edited by Bigdog on Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigdog

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter

Postby brichter » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:47 am

I wish I had taken pictures of Andy mowing Kudzu on the 6 acres down here. I would have to stop occasionally and remove the vines from the blade shafts but as far as cutting the stuff, it was fine. Keep the blades shart, the front end a slight bit lower than the rear and take your time. The Cub will do the rest. By the way, this was done with a 60 inch mower, not sure of the original manufactures. It has been beefed up and altered but it is a fine rig. Extra heavy

Fredburgess
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Fredburgess » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:10 am

I cut a few acres every other week with my '49. It has a 60" IH (3160? can't remember the model just now). Much better now that I've replaced the mower spindle bearings and blades, but still a lot of work for the Cub. I actually just got in here to look for a smaller deck to use for the first half of the season when the grass is thick. Thought I'd switch back to the big mower as the summer progresses.

Anywho...what's the designation for the "proper" mower? Is it a 48", "C-2". Never hurts to have another toy!

Cheers, all.

Fred
'49 Cub, '67 CubCadet, '71 Triumph Trophy 500, '99 BMW R1100RT,'99 Benz E300 turbo diesel. The old stuff is more fun...

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:54 am

Fred - what you are looking for is either a Wood's 42" mower or a Danco (IH) C-2 mower
Bigdog

Fredburgess
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Fredburgess » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:18 pm

Thanks, BigDog! I want to give the Cub a bit of a break. I replaced rings and exhaust valves and got rid of the carbon after I got it a year or so ago (funny what a little compression breathing will do for an engine!) but I'm still working it pretty hard with that big mower deck.

Whilst putting along last week I figured running a narrower deck might add another 15 or 20 minutes to the "task" - hardly a penalty considering how pleasant it is to be out there ignoring pretty much everything else - as noted elsewhere in this post!

The Cub is probably the best purchase I ever made and bringing that engine back to life is without doubt the most satisfying project ever. I doubt the engine turns one complete revolution before it catches - hot or cold!

Thanks, all.

fred
'49 Cub, '67 CubCadet, '71 Triumph Trophy 500, '99 BMW R1100RT,'99 Benz E300 turbo diesel. The old stuff is more fun...

Painless
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29356

Postby Painless » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:27 pm

Corvus: Welcome to the forum. :D You'll find a lot of good information and friendly people here.

Return to “Farmall Cub”