This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Still having clutch problems

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Steve Hales
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 83619
Tractors Owned: 1955 fergison TO 35
1948 Cub

Still having clutch problems

Postby Steve Hales » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:27 am

I decided to start a new thread on my clutch problem . For a quick review, I have a 1947 Cub , I installed a new clutch and throw out bearing . I got all correct adjustments and done per he manual and the last thread I did.now, my problem is :
I start the cub in neutral , I go to put it in gear with the clutch in and the gears just grind as if the the clutch was not even in. I shut it off put in in gear and push the clutch in then restart it , runs fine clutch operates good no grabbing no noise, nothing. However if I try to shift in to another gear like reverse if I do it slow it wil grind like the clutch was not in at all. The only way I change gear is really fast, like we use to do with the old pickup trucks, when we shifted gears without using the clutch. This applies to any gear I shift into ,with the cub clutch in . 1st to reverse, 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. One other thing, I also installed a new shift lever, It was wore out. I looked at the shift rails and they looked ok.
I have only installed 3 cub clutches and gear shift levers and never had this problem . I am no expert by a long shot, so I need some more help from the experts on this forum. Sorry for the long post. Would really appreciate some advice. Thank you.
1948 CUB
1955 Harry Ferguson TO 35

" HARD TIMES DON'T LAST, STRONG PEOPLE DO"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Still having clutch problems

Postby coppersmythe » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:54 am

Pilot bushing sticky maybe.in the flywheel where the drive shaft goes into it.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:24 pm

I agree with Val, your transmission shaft could be slightly warped, or the pilot bushing simply is dry, and that shaft is dragging and spinning. It would require another split, but you could check shaft and bushing condition, use some emery, and lube it with a dab of grease. Alternately, you could try to spray some of the white lithium grease in a spray can with a straw right into the pilot bushing/shaft intersection, but this may not work, and you may get grease on your clutch disk. So some risk.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:39 pm

An easy way to see what the transmission shaft is doing is to engage the PTO.

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:15 am

all good advice above . seems I remember someone also was able to get the rear of the tractor higher than the front ( safely and with great care ) . then shoot a little (your choice ) kroil on the drive shaft through the clutch inspection hole and let it roll down the shaft to the flywheel . no split . care would be taken to not spray the clutch/pressure plate and flywheel. worth a shot before having to split if that turns out to be the issue. coppersmythe......................................

Steve Hales
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 83619
Tractors Owned: 1955 fergison TO 35
1948 Cub

Postby Steve Hales » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:36 am

Thanks guys for the comments and good information , which is correct, however I always install a new pilot bushing. With a dab of grease on every clutch job I do. That is why this problem is puzzling to me. Please keep the ideas coming and in the meantime I will keep scratching my head for some new solutions , thank you.
1948 CUB
1955 Harry Ferguson TO 35

" HARD TIMES DON'T LAST, STRONG PEOPLE DO"

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:39 pm

I s the input shaft straight? A little bow can create drag. Also make sure you are getting enough release from the TOB.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:12 pm

I agree with the comment that suggested working from the PTO end. Make sure the transmission is in neutral, the PTO lever engaged, tie down the clutch pedal and turn the drive shaft using the PTO shaft in one direction and then the other direction. This should give you some indication on how much friction exists in the area of the clutch and whether the friction is uniform throughout an entire rotation of the driveshaft. It would also be helpful if you had someone do the rotating and you observed what was going on at the clutch end through the inspection port at the bottom of the torque tube.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:49 pm

I had a similar problem with a cub I put a combine engine in. The throwout bearing pilot bushing had never been used, and it had just enough drag in the throwout bearing pilot bushing it was hard to shift. With the clutch down I could turn it using the pto shaft, or with a wheel jacked up, but it was stiff. After doing that for a while and no noticeable change I took a different tactic. I chained it to another tractor (brakes locked and in gear) and pulled the chain tight, then tied the clutch down and put troubled cub in 3rd gear. I then started the troubled cub and let it set there and idle for several minutes. My reason for using 3rd gear was that if the shaft bound up in the throwout pilot bushing it would not have enough torque to drag the other cub backward. After about 10 or 15 minutes all was well.

Before you do it the way I did, think about all that could happen if something that should not or cannot go wrong goes wrong. Things like chain coming unhooked, etc. One safety precaution would be to tie a piece of baler string or light rope to the high voltage coil wire and to a stationary object behind the running tractor (not tractor it is tied to). That way if it decides to leave the string/rope will jerk the coil wire out. Of course the best way would be to be sitting in the seat so you can shut it off.

edit: I was thinking pilot bushing, and typing throwout bearing. Guess I need a new computer, the spell check is ok, but the think check needs upgraded.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:38 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:edit: I was thinking pilot bushing, and typing throwout bearing. Guess I need a new computer, the spell check is ok, but the think check needs upgraded.

Er John. May I pass on some words of wisdom for those of us with CRS?

"Please remember to engage mind before putting brain in gear." :lol: :beer:

Yeah, I resemble that remark too.

SS
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:48 pm

I've always heard it quoted as... Engage brain before putting mouth in gear. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:55 pm

Don McCombs wrote:I've always heard it quoted as... Engage brain before putting mouth in gear. :D

Both ways work. ;)
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:27 pm

Have you checked the adjustment on the pressure plate fingers?
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:21 pm

You need to adjust the bolt in the slot on the clutch pedal so you have more engagement of the throw out bearing so the clutch disc is released. The excess free play at the top of the clutch pedal when it's fully up will prove you need to take out more of the free play.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby coppersmythe » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:38 pm

let us know what you find , it can be very helpful :!: coppersmythe...................................................

Return to “Farmall Cub”