This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

54A Blade - How High Does Yours Lift ?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DieselDennis
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39042
eBay ID: ccbil
Tractors Owned: '48 Cub (Great Granddaddy's)
And some bigger ones.....

54A Blade - How High Does Yours Lift ?

Postby DieselDennis » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:07 pm

Recently got a new-to-me 54A blade hooked up on the front of my Cub. How does your hook to the rockshaft? I realize that I may not have it hooked up exactly right per se, I just used what presented itself. I've seen other hook up in pictures in the manual, Updike's books, the web, etc. My hookup worked OK, but seems like it doesn't lift the blade very high, maybe 6"-8". And I believe it would go a foot down if it didn't hit the dirt first. What part am I missing here?

Also, has anybody mounted any weight to the blade? I'm not talking much, 60-80 lbs or so. Just something to keep it from bouncing around. I know it's not meant to plow fresh dirt, but seems like a little weight would settle it down a bit.

'48 Cub 12V Conversion, Zenith Carb, Electronic Ignition

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 54A Blade - How High Does Yours Lift ?

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:50 pm

You're missing the bellcrank extension.

Photo courtesy TM Tractor Parts
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

PaulMac
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: c1b2b5
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub

Postby PaulMac » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:47 am

My lift arm is bolted in the hole below where yours is. It only lifts the blade about 4 inches. I too want more height, and was planning on just using a longer lift arm. However I think the bellcrank extension is also important to spread the load on the rockshaft. Without it we could break off the rockshaft end. I hope someone can answer why the blade is designed with so little lift. Is there a danger in it being to high and breaking something?

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:31 am

I'm pretty sure you could hang the tractor from the rockshaft without breaking it. You need the bellcrank extension which will give you more lift. Also, any slop at any of your attachment points/pivot points will contribute to the blade not lifting as high. My blade lifts about a foot off the ground. There is an issue if you lift the blade too high in that the lift arm will contact the support brackets. Keep in mind that as old as these tractors are, the plow setups can vary from bone stock to a mix of different components with some homemade/home repaired items in just for fun. That will cause great variation in function from tractor to tractor.

Also, adding 60-80# to the blade will increase stress on all of your lift components. If the blade is bouncing around too much, you probably need to tighten up all of the pivot points.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:50 am

Here's my opinions. 6-8" of lift is normal. Really what would you do with it higher? You're not going to plow anything. The only benefit to me is transport over rough ground. Unhook the blade from the wishbone and chain it up higher until you get where you're going to work.

Weight on the blade is not needed. If it'll "go down a foot" put some down pressure on it to keep it from bouncing around. Watch out for frozen rough ground though or you may be adding weight in the form of welding rods. Some bouncing and slop is a good thing, it gives instead of breaks. Anything you do to raise the blade up takes away from how far it can go down. Which decreases the range of down pressure.

I don't see how the bell crank extension is going to increase lift. You are moving the connection point closer to the pivot point of the rockshaft, which would be less travel, which would be less up and down movement.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:48 am

L54 on a Lo Boy has even less lift, only about 4". Bell Crank extension will not fit on my Lo Boy as it hits the steering shaft, possibly something out of whack. It's not necessary, I use just a bolt. Likely to waller out the hole on the TC rock shaft more than it would with support on both sides of the bolt, but it works.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:16 pm

I only get about 4" of ground clearance with my front blade on my 57 loboy also. Wish I had just 2" more is all I need to not scrape the ground anywhere I go in my snowplowing travels. If the blade is swiveled, it hangs even lower.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:44 pm

Scrivet wrote:
I don't see how the bell crank extension is going to increase lift. You are moving the connection point closer to the pivot point of the rockshaft, which would be less travel, which would be less up and down movement.

You are quite correct. I was thinking the bellcrank extension moved the connection further from the pivot point. I don't have one. I have a 5/16" thick flat plate that DOES lengthen the lever arm at the bellcrank.

Here are pictures of my setup. With the manual lift lever locked into its highest position, my blade is 12" off the ground. Pushing the lever all the way forward gets me 16". However, at this height, the main arms of the plow are at an upward angle such that any nudging into a snow bank only lifts it higher, putting my tie rods at risk of being hit by the main arms. When the blade is on the ground, I am at the mid-point of my fine-notch adjustment.

I have a 3/8" Rolled Homogeneous Armor scraper bar and a 8" marine grade plywood extension. The added weight on the plow does make it a bit hard to handle with the master control lever, even with the assist spring adjusted for balance.
Attachments
20150221_084046.jpg
20150221_084112.jpg
20150221_084147.jpg
20150221_084242.jpg
20150221_084254.jpg
20150221_084413.jpg
Jim

Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:44 pm

And a couple more showing my bellcrank extension.
Attachments
20150221_084030.jpg
20150221_084019.jpg
Jim

Circle of Safety

DieselDennis
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DieselDennis » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:05 pm

Thank you Scrivet and Skwimjim for the advice.

I suppose the lift height of the blade is sufficient for most work. I was wincing just driving around the barnyard afraid I was about to bottom it out (not something I want to do at half throttle in 2nd gear). I think more height might also help if you were spreading a pile and wanted to "knock the top off of it".

I do have the lift arm from the belly mower that I could mount forward and use that for more travel. I also saw an old post where Rudi had turned his bell crank unpside down and gotten more travel from the blade. I wanted to seek the advice of the forum first before I did anything too crazy. I know all the geometries play together between the blade, the front axle, and the steering rod. Sure don't want to mess anything up.

And thank you for the reminder that the Cub can actually apply down pressure. I've always used a rear mounted blade where the weight of the blade was the only down force you had. Next time I'll push it on down and see if it settles out.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:51 pm

Looks like a C-2 mower lift piece.

Dennis.... that looks like an L54. A 54A has more holes in the top piece, a Lo Boy version has 2. It sits much higher on a Cub but should work fine. That may explain why it won't lift as high?

BTW I just did some plowing and noticed it's not a bolt but a pin on my rockshaft. The main purpose of the bell crank extension is when the blade is belly mounted. Can't do that with a Lo Boy, no clearance.

The 'lift link' (?) that comes with the blade decreases the amount of lift too.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:29 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote:..........The 'lift link' (?) that comes with the blade decreases the amount of lift too.
Are you thinking about the flexible clevis? Actually that would be the start of a simple idea to get more lift. Mount an L shaped piece on the end of the lift arm where the flexible clevis goes.
Basically made the same way as the flexible clevis. Mount it so the L is upside down and sticks straight up and the tail faces forward.
Weld the single center upright close in to the ears that fit down over the lift arm, so the whole thing can't pivot around the end of the lift arm.
You could continue the ears below the lift arm and put another piece between the ears on the bottom side so the whole thing had a slot that fit over the end of the lift arm with a hole for the pin.
Put a hole, or a series of holes in a taller (top to bottom) tail. Viola instant height adjustment.

cub.bub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46628
Tractors Owned: 55 cub, 54a blade, (2) woods L59 mower...Allis Chalmers CA
1965 International 140, 60" grader blade.

Postby cub.bub » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:14 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote:Looks like a C-2 mower lift piece.

Dennis.... that looks like an L54. A 54A has more holes in the top piece, a Lo Boy version has 2. It sits much higher on a Cub but should work fine. That may explain why it won't lift as high.

:lost: I have a 54A and mine only has two holes on the Y lift piece.....at least I think it's a 54A?
Mine will lift about 10" which, so far has worked well for me.
Bruce.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:24 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote:Looks like a C-2 mower lift piece.

Dennis.... that looks like an L54. A 54A has more holes in the top piece, a Lo Boy version has 2. It sits much higher on a Cub but should work fine. That may explain why it won't lift as high?

BTW I just did some plowing and noticed it's not a bolt but a pin on my rockshaft. The main purpose of the bell crank extension is when the blade is belly mounted. Can't do that with a Lo Boy, no clearance.

The 'lift link' (?) that comes with the blade decreases the amount of lift too.

When I put a flexible clevis on my 54A, I lost a couple of inches of lift and I only get about 5" as it is, so off it came.
TM Tractor has a set of comparison photos between the L54 and 54A that are really helpful. http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gim/bladelb1_001.htm I would say that DieselDennis has a 54A based on the size of the "pressure spring rod assembly" and the spacing of the two (2) holes. Interesting that the "54A pressure spring rod assembly" in the TM photo has a 3rd hole real close to the spring that I don't have on my 54A nor does Dennis have on his. Most likely added to provide more lift.
The limiting factor on getting lift on the blade is as the lifting lever is pushed down (lifting the blade) it bottoms out on the 'Y' shaped arm coming up from the frame, i.e. at the pivot point of the lifting lever.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

DieselDennis
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DieselDennis » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:16 pm

I seem to recall that there is a 54A decal on the blade somewhere. The blade was sold to me as a 70's model, so it does have original paint & decals.

Amazing how we can complicate an implement that was intended to be so simple.

Return to “Farmall Cub”