This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

sediment bowl trouble

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DanielV2
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70401

sediment bowl trouble

Postby DanielV2 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:52 pm

Pulled the sediment bowl off the '49 to start cleaning the fuel tank. I tried to take the bowl apart, but the glass would not budge. The inlet is clogged with 30 yrs of evaporated gas and more is stuck to the bottom of the bowl. The fuel outlet is open. I sprayed some carb cleaner into the bowl and sloshed it around for a bit and left it to soak. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Daniel V

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: sediment bowl trouble

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:29 pm

I would bet that the cork gasket is stuck to the glass bowl and top with evaporated gasoline "varnish". I'd try soaking it for several days and see if that will allow separation. The glass bowls are $7-8 new and probably cheaper used if you happen to break it during disassembly.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:18 am

Bob McCarty wrote:I would bet that the cork gasket is stuck to the glass bowl and top with evaporated gasoline "varnish". I'd try soaking it for several days and see if that will allow separation. The glass bowls are $7-8 new and probably cheaper used if you happen to break it during disassembly.Bo b

:Dito: Not uncommon for this to happen. The shutoff lever can be removed by removing the packing nut and unscrew the lever. If you don't have a screen on the inlet, it is straight down into the glass bowl, use a 1/8 drill bit to remove the crud. You can then insert a small wooden dowel through the inlet and press/tap it against the glass bowl bottom. Here's one source for parts:
fuel valve parts.jpg
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:50 am

staninlowerAL wrote:....... The shutoff lever can be removed by removing the packing nut and unscrew the lever. If you don't have a screen on the inlet, it is straight down into the glass bowl, use a 1/8 drill bit to remove the crud. You can then insert a small wooden dowel through the inlet and press/tap it against the glass bowl bottom......
I don't believe it's "straight down" to the glass bowl. The inlet is off set from the center, that is why it spins all wonky when you screw it into the tank. The gas flow goes vertical down the inlet and makes a 90 degree horizontal turn against the seat of the shutoff valve and then makes a 90 degree turn vertical again down into the center of the glass bowl. Even if it was a straight shot, there is (should be anyway) a deflector shield at the bottom of the casting so the flowing gas stream gets aimed to the sides of the bowl and not straight into the bottom which would keep the sediment stirred up and not let it settle.