This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Underslung Exhaust Pipe

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
The Riot
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77441
Tractors Owned: 1963 Cub - Big Red
1972 Cub - Gramps

Underslung Exhaust Pipe

Postby The Riot » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:47 am

I replaced the exhaust manifold during the restoration of my 72 Cub, and had to use a reducer for the flared 90 degree connection. Now my underslung pip won't fit anymore without hitting the touch-control rockshaft and the hydraulic flowlines.

Has anybody ever had this issue before and how did you deal with it? Also, does anyone know where to find a new piece of 1-1/4" straight exhaust pipe? It looks like I might have to do some custom bending to make it work.

Thanks,
The Riot
Attachments
photo[2].JPG

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Underslung Exhaust Pipe

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:03 am

If you can get this to a custom exhaust shop, they have a tubing bender that can probably fit the pipe to your manifold connection. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:21 am

You used the later style manifold, I presume. IH made 2 pipes and I think you just found out why.
107 139 C1 is the pipe for the later manifold that requires the reducer.

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:29 am

probably better to replace the manifold with the older one than buy the pipe for big $$$
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:44 am

When I was looking to have a local muffler shop bend several underslungs, none had the tooling small enough to handle 1 1/4". They suggested several motor cycle shops who couldn't do it either. Time for the correct manifold apparently.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:55 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:When I was looking to have a local muffler shop bend several underslungs, none had the tooling small enough to handle 1 1/4". They suggested several motor cycle shops who couldn't do it either. Time for the correct manifold apparently.

Bob

Several years ago I went to the biggest muffler shop in our area. They bend all their pipes. I had the same result.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:18 pm

We put a hydraulic bypass block on my friend's Lo-Boy and had clearance problems with the exhaust pipe. The solution was to go to a local race car builder and get a short piece of tubing (the builder has a multitude of various sizes of round, square, and rectangular tubing of various gauges) that closely matched the exhaust pipe OD. By cutting the exhaust pipe and rotating each end to get the clearance needed, then welding the new tubing to the exhaust pipe the problem was solved. For those wanting an "original" look, this is probably not a desired solution. For those interested in "functional," this should work fine.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:33 pm

Along the line of Bill's suggestion, I have bent pipe by making slices with a hack saw and making the bend and then moving on to the next until the fitment is tuned. Then weld up the slices, which ideally will have no gaps if you are careful. The exhaust on my Sunbeam Tiger goes right through the frame rails and it has to be perfect or it will rattle. I did the entire front section in this way including adding an H pipe. Saved me from having to flatbed the car to a shop while I was in the middle of assembly.

Doodle
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47923
Tractors Owned: International, Case IH

Postby Doodle » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:28 pm

A Electrician company will have a metal conduit bender that would probably work

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:09 pm

This might be a little too redneck for you, but when I was younger I helped bend a bunch of tubing into intricate shapes for a yard art project. We bent the tubing without collapsing it by filling the tubing with sand. The sand fills the tube so that it wont collapse but you can still bend it because the sand inside is flexible.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

The Riot
10+ Years
10+ Years
1972 Cub - Gramps

Postby The Riot » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:48 am

Here's any update.
I took the muffler off of the pipe and hooked up the pipe to the manifold nipple with the clamp very loose. I then was able to wiggle the muffler onto the pipe and again loosely attach the u-bolt at the muffler mounting bracket.
The good news is that I have it all together but it's all under stress and still bumping into the hydraulic lines and the TC rockshaft.

My next move is to try and bend some electrical conduit and I think I will try the Redneck technique with sand that Lee recommended. I'm always interested in trying something like this myself.
Stay tuned, I'll let everybody know if I can make it work.

Thanks to all
The Riot

Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24551

Postby Clip » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:25 am

Sand bending is a time-tested technique. I read about workers bending 12" steam line by filling with sand, packing both ends with paper to keep everything right and heating with acetylene torches before using chain falls to pull to shape. I've tried before but haven't had enough dry sand (wet makes steam) and the patience to pack pipe full of sand, so I went with the slice and weld technique.

Doodle
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47923
Tractors Owned: International, Case IH

Postby Doodle » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:27 am

Conduit is a good possibility. The owner operated Electricians have some good benders. Conduit is of course galvanized so it will throw off some white gas and flake off when heated. Maybe let the Cub run a long time to burn this off before painting. I have sucked in a lot of these gases torching and welding on grain bin equipment since a young age. Probably just one of the reasons for short breath. Maybe stand way back outside and drink a :beer: while it does its thing.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:13 pm

Doodle wrote:Conduit is of course galvanized so it will throw off some white gas and flake off when heated. . . . I have sucked in a lot of these gases torching and welding . . .

I have experienced that sort of thing, both from galvanized and cad plated, usually when I forget about it and start welding something I shouldn't. The two produce different gases but have similar effects. I strongly encourage everyone to avoid this situation.

http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor.php?lesson=safety3/demo

The Riot
10+ Years
10+ Years
1972 Cub - Gramps

Postby The Riot » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:24 pm

I've seen electrical conduit many times but had never taken note that it is galvanized, but I see it now. This causes me concern about the safety issue and now I'm rethinking my plan to use conduit.

Does anybody have any idea where IH might source the small pipe they use for these exhausts? Right now I would like to find the correct size and correct metal in a straight section and do some custom bending, but I shying away from the conduit because of the galvanizing.

Thanks again,
The Riot