This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Overhauling my Cub-22 mower

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40
Circle of Safety: Y

Overhauling my Cub-22 mower

Postby WaMoo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:10 pm

Just got back from a trip to the farm where I overhauled my Cub-22 mower with a 5' sickle bar. My references were of course GSS-1053, Mower Cutter Bars-All Models; Maintenance and Repair. I also found John Deere's (I know, I know...) The Operation, Care and Repair of Farm Machinery, Lynn Miller's Horse Drawn Mower Book, and Oregon State College Extension Bulletin 686 (1948) The Mower; How to Repair and Adjust quite helpful.

I ordered all of the cutter bar parts from Webb's Sickle Service, and am quite pleased with their quality, prices, and customer service. I ordered the pitman box connection plate from Roy's Red Iron, and can highly recommend him. He's never let me down.

After assembling all my parts, pieces, tools, etc on the work bench, I was ready to get to work.

IMG_1262.jpg
IMG_1262.jpg (39.9 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

A before view, knife removed.

IMG_1291.jpg
IMG_1291.jpg (45.27 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

First, I rebuilt the knives. I replaced damaged sections, or any smooth sections. I'm a fan of under-serrated, and one knife warranted the replacement of every section. I still use rivets. I guess I'm a traditionalist.

IMG_1302.jpg
IMG_1302.jpg (32.87 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

I rebuilt two knives. Besides replacing sections, I make sure the knife backs are straight. In addition to these two knives, I have a third, brand new OEM knife still in the box.

IMG_1303.jpg
IMG_1303.jpg (39.73 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

I replaced all of the wear plates, and replaced the hold downs with adjustable types. I've never used them, but am excited to try them out. It certainly made initial adjustments easier. I also had to replace one guard. All the ledgers were good.

IMG_1306.jpg
IMG_1306.jpg (44.59 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

I also added a wheel to the outer shoe to lift up the cutter bar so I can mow higher. See: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85868

And finally, I replaced my pitman box connection plate. The pitman stick is home-made. Out here in the west, I used clear Douglas Fir.

IMG_1360.jpg
IMG_1360.jpg (41.05 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

Once spring comes, I'll mount the mower on the tractor, and finish fine tuning everything, checking the lead, etc. I should be an improvement over what I started with!
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: Overhauling my Cub-22 mower

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:27 pm

With everything you have done, it should work like a Swiss watch (relatively speaking). Let us know about the wheel setup. I'm sure others will be interested in how it works for you.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:02 pm

Nice job on the bar. I'm curious, why do you want to cut so high that you added the wheel?

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:25 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Nice job on the bar. I'm curious, why do you want to cut so high that you added the wheel?

Bob

Mainly because I want to use it for clipping pastures, but also, because my fields are primarily Smooth Bromegrass, which doesn't tolerate a close shave very well. Regrowth potential is much better when mowed (or grazed) tall. Also, being drylands farmers (20" annually), leaving more aftermath shades the soil better.
Chewelah, WA
~George Washington

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:43 pm

WaMoo wrote:
Bob McCarty wrote:Nice job on the bar. I'm curious, why do you want to cut so high that you added the wheel?

Bob

Mainly because I want to use it for clipping pastures, but also, because my fields are primarily Smooth Bromegrass, which doesn't tolerate a close shave very well. Regrowth potential is much better when mowed (or grazed) tall. Also, being drylands farmers (20" annually), leaving more aftermath shades the soil better.

Ah, makes perfect sense now. When I was in Texas, those ole boys couldn't understand why we tiled fields to remove water. One fellow told me that he never saw rain until he was 20 years old. :lol: :lol:

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:57 pm

In west Texas, they say they got a 2-inch rainfall if afterwards you look in the dust and you can see the marks from the rain drops are 2 inches apart.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:48 am

Looks like you're doing a great job. I have a Cub-22 sickle mower that I'll be doing a refurb on later; will use your thread as a reference. Thanks.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:00 am

Jim Becker wrote:In west Texas, they say they got a 2-inch rainfall if afterwards you look in the dust and you can see the marks from the rain drops are 2 inches apart.

Yes, Jim. He was from Loving County. :)

Bill
Bill

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:55 pm

Curious to know what thickness knives you used. Webb's has an amazing selection of different knives.

I have an IH box with 17 smooth knives, three short of what is needed for a complete bar. I have no idea what thickness to order to match them, but perhaps they can help if I give them a call.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:13 pm

bob in CT wrote:I have an IH box with 17 smooth knives, three short of what is needed for a complete bar.

What is the part number?

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:26 pm

Just came in with the box. MB-333. They are smooth and I believe "regular" based on the gauge info (14) on Webb's page. Any issue with using a heavier knife (12 or 11 gauge) on other sections? I won't be mixing them, of course. What would be the advantages or disadvantages? I'll be cutting some coarse stuff along with grass in some areas and it will be my first experience with a sickle bar.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:50 pm

MB 333 is the standard (regular thickness) smooth section. The heavy smooth sections (I was only aware of one heavier weight) were half again as thick, part number M 333-1/2. (No kidding)

The advantage is a little less chance of them breaking. No real disadvantage other than the fact you can't mix them on the same knife. The hold down clips would need to be readjusted to change from one thickness to the other.

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:11 am

bob in CT wrote:Curious to know what thickness knives you used. Webb's has an amazing selection of different knives.

I have an IH box with 17 smooth knives, three short of what is needed for a complete bar. I have no idea what thickness to order to match them, but perhaps they can help if I give them a call.

I never even gave thickness a thought. When I started the project, I just called Webbs, told them what mower I had, and he told me what I needed. I did mix them with some NOS sections I had, with no problem. If there were a thickness difference, I couldn't notice.

The one difference I did notice was that the serrations were more aggressive (less TPI) on the new sections vice the NOS ones. That didn't bother me though.
Chewelah, WA
~George Washington

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:18 am

Thank you both! Now I just need to find a Johnson sickle servicer I can use.

DRaymond
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 99223
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub 13747 "Marie"
1948 FCub 16109 "Lizzie"
1948 FCub 44181 "Gussie"
Cub-54A Leveling & Grader Blade
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow

Postby DRaymond » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:15 am

This information is well presented WaMoo and informative. I plan on overhauling my sickle bar this spring so will be referencing your work. Once again this site and its contributors proves invaluable.
DT Raymond
Spokane, WA
48 FCUB - Marie
48 FCUB - Lissie
48 FCUB - Gussie
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grader Blade

Return to “Farmall Cub”