This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gearbox Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ian D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Gearbox Question

Postby Ian D » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:56 am

Hello again, I am about to order some parts for my Cub restoration (see photograph) but I want to check the spring and ball that prevents the tractor jumping out of gear? I don't think this is an issue but I want to check it before ordering all my parts from America - can anyone advise as to where it is located? I would rather ask as opposed to take things apart until I find it!
Regards
Ian, Scotland - UK

26.jpg
Current photograph

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Gearbox Question

Postby Urbish » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:35 am

Loosen and remove the bolt holding the shift fork onto the 1st/reverse rail denoted by the black arrow. Cover the hole denoted by the yellow arrow with a rag and slide the rail rearward into the differential case until it is clear. Remove your rag and fish out the ball and spring through the hole at the yellow arrow with a magnetic pickup tool. A long bolt, screwdriver, punch will be required to push the ball & spring back down the hole while you slide the rail forward during reassembly. The same is true for the other corresponding bolt and hole for the 2nd/3rd rail. Be careful as the spring and ball may shoot out of there to parts unknown if you slip while depressing the ball & spring.
Attachments
26.jpg
Last edited by Urbish on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:38 am

There are photos of the balls and springs as well as a shimming idea to correct a weak spring in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81288&p=650611&hilit=poppet#p650611
Jim

Circle of Safety

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:44 am

The detent ball & spring are located under the shift rail at the front of the rail. In order to physically inspect them, the shift rail must be slid rearward and the ball will then jump out of the hole, from the pressure of the spring beneath it. A finger over the hole will prevent losing it. As an alternative, pry the shift forks forward and rearward, if you feel it snap into each gear crisply, there is no need to examine them.

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:24 am

The two rails that have the forks bolted to them have detent notches in them. The spring loaded ball is below the rail and is pushed up against the rail into the detent notch passing over it, holding the rail and forks in their proper position. The two bolts holding the forks to the rails must be removed all the way to free the forks since the bolts also pass through detent notches in the rail. Once the bolts are removed, the rails can be pushed back toward the rear, partially into the differential compartment. I am not sure, but it looks like you may be missing the expansion plugs that cover the holes for the rails on the front side of the transmission. These can be obtained at nominal cost. Typically, they would not have to be removed to service the transmission since, as just explained, you can push the rails back into the differential compartment far enough to service the transmission. You may need to clamp the rail with a vise grip to move the rail off its detent before the rail will slide back because the spring loaded ball typically holds the rail quite firmly in place.

Ian D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Ian D » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:26 am

As usual on this superb forum - thank you all very much for the detailed answers and advice, it is very much appreciated.
I have the expansion plugs out as I am renewing all 3 due to 1 leaking oil.
Thanks again
Regards Ian

Return to “Farmall Cub”