This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Can of worms

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Can of worms

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:56 pm

Scrivet wrote:
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
muleboss wrote:quote=Jim Becker: Trouble with a 12-volt system? The fix it obvious -- convert to 24-volts.
That is what I was thinking.Ha Ha
Don't need to go that far, 18 volt should be enough.
How about a pair of eight volt batteries (in series)? Wouldn't that do it? :D :lol:

The reason to go straight to 24-volts is because all the components are readily available at low prices. Check the Army surplus stores.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:28 am

24hrs is the min I would leave a dead battery on a slow charge, and make sure the plates are covered with distilled water. In fact 24hrs might not be enough.
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:42 am

Sorry to hear of your battery woes. I have had success (and others on here as well) with the Excel batteries sold through the Tractor Supply stores. Not sure where you're located, since you didn't supply that info, but an internet search may reveal where you can buy one locally.

Think I'd try re-charging yours first, though.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:03 am

Clark Thompson wrote:is your cub converted to 12 volts? or is it a original 12 cub? If converted using a delco 10SI altinator you may have a defective voltage regulator in the alternator. I have had in the past year 2 delco altinators fail. when they failed they drained the battery. on ruined the battery. also if you have a original 12 volt cub does it have a generator or factory altinator? Did you do a voltage test on the battery? I myself would check into the battery connections and the cable to the starter and especially the ground. If grounded to the battery box then ground it to the shifter top. another suggestion is to charge the battery with the battery cables disconnected, If there is voltage to ground a small charger wont help you a bit.

Converted system per the instructions I found here years ago. I even had the inline diode installed. Everything had been working normally for years until my very good battery finally gave up the ghost after a very cold winter here.

Jim: That was funny. I don't care who you are.

Scrivet, I'm not sure how long I charged the battery. I do know I left it on for several hours, but certainly not for 24. Thanks for that comment though.

I plan on pulling the *new* battery this evening and taking it to be tested. I didn't buy it in 2014, but in 2013. New Year makes me forget certain things. :oops:

I called Sears last night, and they have a group 51 battery that the dimensions seem to fit my battery case. I hope so. Trying to find group 1 battery these days is getting tough.

Charger is a Shumaker (sp?). It's been a good charger for 10+ years. The analog gauge showed the battery had a full charge on it when I shut it down after the last charge. The Cub had no problems starting and running after the charge. That was about two weeks or so ago before we had this last blast of 9* F weather for two nights in a row when I found I had a dead battery again.

We do have a Tractor Supply about 15 miles from me. I'm going to go to Sears first to see what their battery is like. Should see them Thursday evening.
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:12 am

tnestell wrote:This wasn't a 12 volt battery intended for a riding lawn mower, was it? I put a new 12 volt battery in my Cub 8 years ago and have only checked the water level a couple times. I sometimes power a winch with it when cutting trees that lean the wrong way.

Automobile style battery. I don't even go near a motorcycle style battery for my Cub. I depend on it too much for that.
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:35 am

I had to buy a battery for my old truck last month. In shopping around, I found the prices were pretty competitive. Autozone, Advance Auto, Napa, Walmart, Tractor Supply... All within about $5 of each other on comparably warrantied batteries. All but Walmart stock Group 1 6V batteries.

Group 26 is what I use for 12V Cub batteries.

Do you have an Advance Auto near you? If so, and you paid attention to the banner ads on this site, you'd have coupon code TRT41 that knocks $40 off any $100+ order placed on the Internet for in-store pickup. ANY order over $100.

offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Postby offrink » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:18 pm

You don't want to under do it!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:19 pm

I have problems with dead batteries too I probably don't charge them enough. Or the batteries at the parts house are old.

Throughout my testing of which battery is better that big yellow "ever start" battery lasted the longest in my jeep tractor. That's sitting all summer not starting or charging it, starting it up every fall and plowing all winter then sitting all summer.

My neighbor laughs when I start it up every fall to get it ready to plow. She's 1955 and has no thoughts of retirement yet. I think she's still young in heart. I replaced the fiber timing gears 5 years ago and the engine is so clean inside. She's going to run till she's 100years old. She's the pride of the family already. My kids laugh when we talk about it. But the Wal-Mart yellow EVER-START battery has been the best so far.

Being a mechanic before machine building and working in a gas station when the temps went below zero during that first cold snap I drove the service truck with the jumpers. People just don't get it. The new batteries last 5 years. I change my batteries at 4 years in my cars. The old battery goes in my older cub cadets till they die. The newer batteries aren't as good as the older batteries once were.
I have faith in the ever start Wal-Mart battery.

I try to purchase the used batteries at the junk yard now for my tractors. I was told I could buy new seconds by yogie that's another thought.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:29 pm

My next plan is to replace all the battery cables. I purchased a spool of black and red wire to make up new cables. I'm going to run the ground cable parallel with the positive cable to the engine block. I purchased a cheap bolt cutter and made my own wire crimper for number 4 & 6 wire terminals. Now I can make any length and use the correct bolt diameter on the terminals.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:20 pm

Group 26R gets the terminals in the right place.

My Schumacher showed green too. You need at least 10 amps for a proper deep charge, according to the battery manufacturer I deal with.

The test will reveal all- best of luck.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:44 pm

bob in CT wrote:Group 26R gets the terminals in the right place.

My Schumacher showed green too. You need at least 10 amps for a proper deep charge, according to the battery manufacturer I deal with.

The test will reveal all- best of luck.

Thanks for the info Bob and the rest of your folks. It is very much appreciated.

I'll pull the battery this evening and then take a reading with my Fluke 23. Something tells me I have a bad cell for the battery to show up like it has. I remember two different batteries on two different vehicles that showed no problems at all until I stopped both vehicles (very different time periods) and shut the engines off to do some shopping.

Came back, and tried to start them. Nothing at all. No grunt, no engine turn over, no lights, etc.

I was lucky I was able to call someone to come jump me off. Took the vehicles to an auto parts store. They checked the batteries, and both had developed dead cells (shorted) in a short period of time. I guess they were on the way out, and the bouncing from driving just finished them off.

I'll check around on the Group 26 battery. I know group 1 is out as I called around last evening and struck out.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:39 pm

Group 1 is 6V.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:32 pm

SundaySailor wrote:
Something tells me I have a bad cell for the battery to show up like it has. I remember two different batteries on two different vehicles that showed no problems at all until I stopped both vehicles (very different time periods) and shut the engines off to do some shopping.

Came back, and tried to start them. Nothing at all. No grunt, no engine turn over, no lights, etc.

I was lucky I was able to call someone to come jump me off. Took the vehicles to an auto parts store. They checked the batteries, and both had developed dead cells (shorted) in a short period of time. I guess they were on the way out, and the bouncing from driving just finished them off.[/quote]

Hey, don't feel bad about that. I had the same thing to happen to me on at least 2 different occasions. Once I had a battery go completely dead to the point the vehicle could not be jump started. I swapped the batteries in the two vehicles, then pull started the one with the bad battery (it had std shift xmission), problem solved. The battery was shorted out. It doesn't happen often but it's possible. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:44 pm

Battery now out of Cub. Fluke 23 gave a reading of 9.55 VDC. Definitely not good enough voltage.

Advance Auto didn't have any 26R batteries.

Autozone had a couple of 26R, 2 yr warranty 575 CCA. $109.99 + Tax + core.

I'll probably go that route as it fits the bill all the way around.

I plan on getting them to test the bad battery as well as the new one off the shelf. One can't be too careful with this weather we're getting ready to have.

Stay tuned.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:20 pm

Try Wal-Mart or Tractor Supply, if you have those stores nearby.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farmall Cub”