This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The value of a mag re-build

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JimCT
10+ Years
10+ Years

The value of a mag re-build

Postby JimCT » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:47 pm

Have been having troubles with the cub engine for a couple of years. Would run fine then cut out for a second or two then pick up and run fine for an hour or so then cut out again, get going again and so on. Since it cut out abruptly then resumed with no black smoke or leaning symptoms I figured it had to be spark. To cut to the chase, after changing out the points, condenser, mag coil, mag cap, dist. cap, wires, & plugs with no affect on the problem, I took the mag off and drove it over to Mark's Magneto in East Hampton CT. Being the pro he is, he spotted the problem in 2 seconds. The mag shaft bushings were worn and were allowing the lobed shaft which the points follower rides on to wiggle out of true about .020". That wiggle was enough to cause the points gap to wander way off the spec. setting for the make & break.

Two days later Mark had the mag back together and ready for pick up. When I got there he had it set up on a test stand which spun the mag over at engine speed. What a spark! Blue lightning which jumped over 1/2". She'd never done that before in my memory. We've had the old girl ('49) since 1953 and this was the first mag re-build. Considering she's a working girl with who knows how many hours on her, it says a lot about the longevity built into her.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that something to consider if you have "iffy" problems with ignition, is a mag rebuild. Also, it brings to mind the quality that was built into US made tractors at one time. That mag did it's job for 64 years without a hiccup. Both Mark & I will be long gone before another re-build is needed. Hope there will still be mag. wizards around.

edit>>> Just remembered.... Mark said always use copper wire spark plug wires with a mag. Regular carbon wires have too much resistance.
'49 Cub, Ford 621, Ford 2000 diesel, CJ5 diesel

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Re: The value of a mag re-build

Postby CapeCodCubs » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:48 pm

Jim
Thanks for sharing! Mark Magneto's sounds like a good resource for the New England area Cub owners. :D

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Stanton » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:41 am

Thanks for sharing your experience. That's valuable information for all us who still have working mags on our tractors. :coffee:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:51 am

CapeCodCubs wrote:Jim
Thanks for sharing! Mark Magneto's sounds like a good resource for the New England area Cub owners. :D

Mark is a great fixer, for all kinds of mags, and has mag parts, for most any brand of mag.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”