This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

water pump

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jptpope
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 33597

water pump

Postby jptpope » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:14 am

does the water need lubrication? also is their oil in the rear wheel are back? how to add? when do the front bearings need to be repacked? thanks jimt

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: water pump

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:38 am

All this and more is in the manuals at the top of this page. Just follow the link.
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/popup/maintenance.html
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:56 am

Jim, Welcome to the Forum. The Cubs don't have a water pump, they cool on a thermosyphon system. A 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze is recommended. The rear wheels have their oil in the bull gear pan. There is a plug for adding oil, but if you don't know the maintenance history of your Cub you should probably remove the pans, clean and refill. For the front bearings, I'd suggest unscrewing one of the hub caps and seeing what the condition of the grease inside is. Stan's link to the manual will give you info on other places that need oil/grease that are often neglected. There is also a Blue Ribbon service manual that gives more details on Cub repair, etc. Let us know when you have more questions.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

jptpope
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby jptpope » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:32 am

thanks for the info. Next ? on the rear wheels I filled up with 90 wt. oil on each side do I need to do anything else there? Also had to remove old bowl for gas tank and put in a filter 3/8 line is this ok? thanksjt

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:59 am

jptpope wrote:on the rear wheels I filled up with 90 wt. oil on each side do I need to do anything else there?
No.

Had to remove old bowl for gas tank and put in a filter 3/8 line is this ok?
This is a topic for discussion. A lot of folks disapprove of using "rubber" fuel line. Stating that "rubber could be source of a fire. Others have use the "rubber" fuel line for years with no problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:15 am

I strongly suggest that you download and read an operator's manual from cover to cover to get to know your tractor. They cover all the lubrication points and there are probably a few that you will never be aware of until it is too late. Like your fan hub, for example, which you may have mistaken for a water pump. It has a very specific procedure that needs to be followed to keep it from slinging oil all over the place. Follow the link and pick one that is close to the year you have, although they are all basically the same. The files with "OCR" in the name means they were scanned with a optical character recognition option that allows keyword searching and in general they would be better quality scans with smaller file sizes.
http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php?dirpath=./files/Cub%20Owners%20and%20Operators%20Manuals&order=0

jptpope
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby jptpope » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:06 am

sorry to get back so late ? from anyone who wants to send it on radiator. I have antifreeze in the it. when I run the tractor for 30 minutes it starts to come out of top and settle on the steering housing? is the cap bad? or do I need to drain and clean radiator?liquid is about 2 inches from top at fins? thanks for anyone's info? iimt /jptpope......

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:41 am

These are non pressurized systems. They will find their own level, usually at about the top of the fins. I'd continue to run and watch it, will probably stay about where it is now. As Bob suggested, the manuals are a valuable resource, either the PDF Version or printed copies from TM Tractor or other sources. I use both. I read your post about working on this with your Grandson. I have three Cub Buddies, aged 10 mos. to 11 years. You're gonna have a great time making memories for both of you. John

mva1958
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23314

Postby mva1958 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:11 am

jptpope wrote:sorry to get back so late ? from anyone who wants to send it on radiator. I have antifreeze in the it. when I run the tractor for 30 minutes it starts to come out of top and settle on the steering housing? is the cap bad? or do I need to drain and clean radiator?liquid is about 2 inches from top at fins? thanks for anyone's info? iimt /jptpope......

The radiator should be filled so that the fluid touches the tube that you see when looking into the top. Any more will get spit out of the overflow tube and will pool around the steering gear. It will stop ejecting the fluid once the proper level is reached. Look in the top and if you can see the fluid below the top of the big tube you are probably okay.
If only Mrs. Hoyt and Mrs. Clagwell had gotten along...

jptpope
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby jptpope » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:33 am

should the radiator be drained and refilled and is the drain threaded at the bottom? thanks jt

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:31 am

There is a radiator drain on the bottom of the bolster/lower radiator housing. It's suppose to unbolt. If it doesn't you can remove the coolant manifold on the lower right side of the engine block.

If you decide to replace the antifreeze, it's a good idea to flush the engine block and bolster/lower radiator housing.

When to replace coolant/antifreeze. Some vehicle manufacturers recommend a cooling system drain every 2 to 3 years. Some go as long as 10 years before replacing. Check the recommendation by the manufacturer of the antifreeze you purchase.
I have an excuse. CRS.