This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Axle Housing Leaking

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JAMMEEJOE
10+ Years
10+ Years

Axle Housing Leaking

Postby JAMMEEJOE » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:45 am

I have a leak on the RH side of the axle housing. It is coming out around the brake band and has it covered. Is this a matter of just replacing a seal or is it completely dis-assembling the whole assembly? I read in the manual server but it didn't cover just replacing the seal. Thanks in advance. Ray

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Denny Clayton » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:26 am

First check the fluid level in the transmission. Many times it is overfull. Condensation over time raises the level and sometimes it is just plain overfilled. It only holds 3 1/2 PINTS. There is a plug low on the left side in front of the final drive. If it runs out of that hole it is overfull.

The seals are only designed to keep back splashed fluid. If not overfilled, occasionally if the tractor is tipped on a slope it can cause temporary leaking and run down to the brakes.

If none of these is the case the seal needs replacing. You'll have to pull the final drive and axle from the transmission housing. The seal is right there in the bearing retainer. It can be pulled out with seal puller or I prefer to remove the bearing retainer and drive out the seal from behind with a large socket and install similarly. This can be done on the workbench and is so much easier to get at. There is also an o-ring on the outer part of the retainer that can be replaced while you're in there. Cheap and easy to do.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

JAMMEEJOE
10+ Years
10+ Years

Axle Housing Leaking

Postby JAMMEEJOE » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:06 am

Thank you very much. I took the drain plug out and about one half gallon of water came out. I think you hit the problem on the nail head. Again thanks. Ray

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:43 am

Hi!
I'm sure you'r going to drain all the water out, perhaps have a washout and refil with 90?
Best wishes
Pat
PS water gets in down through the gear-shift if it rains on the tractor.

Return to “Farmall Cub”