This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrical (charging) question...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
couchsachraga
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12804

Electrical (charging) question...

Postby couchsachraga » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:56 pm

I think I'm on the right track here, but before I start replacing parts thought I'd check with the brain trust:)

Yes, yet again I'm working on my parents '65 cub. The problem for a while has been the battery discharging during use... which I've confirmed is because it's not charging enough.

Battery is good... with cub off 12.4v or so.
During crank over that drops to 10-11 and change as you'd expect.

At high idle (where I'd expect charging) it is 11.90 v or so. Turn the lights on and it actually INCREASES to 12.15 or so (+ or - depending on how many lights are on;) ).

Turn it back off, battery is at 12.20v (typically given power used for starting (cold up here and I don't have the knack for starting it I used to).

We did try re-polarizing the voltage regulator.

I'm guessing I may want to replace that unit.

Thoughts?

Thank you all in advance as always!

Oh, and that oil seal hasn't leaked a drop since it was turn around the other way:)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Electrical (charging) question...

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:58 pm

Your description sounds as if the regulator needs adjusted a little. I have never done much work with a regulator, so cannot tell you how to do it, but here is a trouble shooting flow chart for regulator type charging systems. It does not contain regulator adjustments, but will help you pin point the problem. Note, when polarizing it is not the regulator that gets polarized, but the generator. It is done by jumping from the Bat (NOT FLD) term of the regulator to the Gen term of the regulator though, which provides a voltage to give a slight magnetic charge of the proper polarity to the laminations of the generator field.

image compliments of Farmall Bob.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:48 pm

As John suggested, start with the flow chart, to pinpoint where the problem is. If it is the regulator, check the air gaps on the coils in the regulator. I have brought two regulators back to life by doing that. I think the gap is .075, but check the manual to make sure.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

couchsachraga
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby couchsachraga » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:47 pm

Thank you! I'll be following that this weekend, or perhaps before then depending on what snow we get.

I'll see if I can walk my mother through setting the gap over the phone... she's pretty handy with mechanical things.

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:51 am

couchsachraga wrote:I'll see if I can walk my mother through setting the gap over the phone... she's pretty handy with mechanical things.

Now that's a special mom, you must be proud. Perhaps you could talk her into joining this Club. We could benefit from her mechanical aptitude. :)

Ironlegs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16426
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Super A
1958 Farmall Cub

Postby Ironlegs » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:59 am

Another feature to consider is adjusting the third generator brush...if your generator has one. Look under the removable band cover and see if there are three generator brushes. If so, one will be adjustable over about a 25 degree rotational angle. Changing its position will change the output of the generator. I adjust mine for more charge during winter use if I'm using the lights more. JG
Ironlegs John

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:29 am

If your system is charging normally you should get at least 14 volts at high idle. It may sound a little silly but have you checked the belt tension? If the belt gets just a little glazed it can slip under load. Try grounding the field and see what the generator output is with the regulator out of the circuit.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi,
The Cub parts book shows that the 12 volt generators had 2 brushes, and no removable band. Just wanted to post the info.
The 6 volt, 3rd brush could sometimes need adjusting.

couchsachraga
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby couchsachraga » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:00 pm

Well, they didn't make much headway, and I was up there today for a bit so I checked it out a little...

My first thought was to clean all the connections.

What I noticed was odd (and it may not be -it is the reason for this post) was that there was no wire to the "L" post ("F", "Bat", and "Gen" all appear connected correctly, and it is well grounded).

I did pull the cover off the voltage regulator - one side does move during operation, the other does not...(and yes, the side with the points that do not move is the one the "L" terminal wire connects too...).

It is a 12v system, so I"m assuming the 6v wiring schematic that came with the Cub may not be valid... but I"m not sure.

Oh, and it is a newer (12v) regulator - the cub was 6v originally. The points do not appear to be adjustable via any screws.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:14 pm

There were 2 ways the power was applied to lights and ignition. Earlier ones were powered by a wire from the amp meter to the light switch. Later ones used the L lead of the regulator. Yours being a 65 should have the L lead wired though. The L lead is not used for charging though, that is done via the bat. terminal via a wire that runs to the starter., and there connects to the battery terminal lead.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Astrowing
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 78932
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1958 Ford 641
1953 Ford Jubilee
2007 Cub Cadet

Postby Astrowing » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:28 pm

As per the flow chart previously posted, make sure the regulator body is properly grounded. After my paint job, the generator quit charging. The problem was paint in the regulator mounting holes. I think corrosion could do the same.

Return to “Farmall Cub”