1965 International Cub Serial Number 226902

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rynomartin
Zip Code: 47630

1965 International Cub Serial Number 226902

Postby rynomartin » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:22 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to this site and am looking for some help. I own a 1965 Cub that's been in my family ever since I can remember. I was born in 1963. We used it for everything, mowing, cultivating, grading, cutting hay, and even plowing. But now my Cub has not been running smoothly for the last couple of years. I was told that it was probably the carburetor and have had it rebuilt. If I was to run it on a daily basis, I would have good results with getting it running but with winter setting in and not using it as much, once it sat for any length of time at all, I would be unsuccessful in getting it started which is where I'm at now. Along with having the carburetor rebuilt, I had new points and condenser put in as well as a new distributor cap. The guy who did the work told me that the next time I had any issues with it, that the carburetor would probably need to be replaced. As far as I know, it's the original carburetor on the tractor. That's my question tonight. I bought some starting fluid this morning and sprayed some into the breather. The tractor then started but it only ran long enough until the starting fluid was used up, then it quit on me. It turns over fine, there seems to be gas getting into the carburetor, it just won't start. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person but would like to get it running again as it does get a lot of use during the spring, summer and fall months. I've tried all the basic stuff like cleaning the jet and making sure that I had fuel to the carburetor. Can it be that simple that all I need is a new carburetor. I've done some checking around and it appears that I can get a new one without much trouble. I'm just looking for some guidance on whether or not that's the best option for me. It's hard for me to find people with this knowledge any more and I'm hesitant to take it to a dealer for fear that they wouldn't be interested in getting it fixed. Any help you all can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Tom.

offrink
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Re: 1965 International Cub Serial Number 226902

Postby offrink » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:13 pm

Since the starting fluid is the fuel I'm definitely leaning toward a clogged fuel jet. Remove an mechanically clean with a wire, carb cleaner, and then compressed air. When the jet is out make sure you have good fuel flow too. If not keep going upstream until you find the issue.

Bigrion
Zip Code: 97013
Tractors Owned: 1968 IH Cub LoBoy

Postby Bigrion » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:42 pm

Drain all of the stale gas out of the tank and try starting it with fresh gas.
Car gas loses volatility with age.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:29 am

The jet is the brass 'nut' (3/8" wrench) on the side. Be sure the fuel is shut off (directly under the gas cap, you can carefully check for fuel flow with it out.
Try a search, there is a ton of posts about carbs that may give you some clues too.
If it's been sitting for a long time it would be worthwhile to 'prime the oil pump', I prefer through the hole in the oil filter housing.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Bigdog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:55 am

It is very unlikely that you need a new carburetor. Unless physically damaged, virtually all carbs can be cleaned and - or re-built and restored to service.
It has already been mentioned but check the fuel flow, mechanically clean the jet with a soft wire and compressed air. Use good, clean fresh gas.
Incidentally - since you didn't mention it - if you are not seeing gasoline dripping out of the carb at the air inlet connection after the cub fails to start it would indicate to me that you are not getting enough fuel flow to the carb. That is probably the most common comment made about non-start situations and if it is not happening, you are not getting good flow to the carb.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:05 pm

I agree with Buzzard Wing and Bigdog. Here is how the jet should look off the carb.

It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

rynomartin

Postby rynomartin » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi Everyone,

I did all the suggestions listed today. I cleaned the jet and made sure gas was flowing from the tank to the carburetor. The fuel is about a month old and I did put Sta-Bil in when I got the fuel. On a whim, I did take the air breather assembly (?) out a cleaned it. It was pretty well clogged up so I wiped it out as best as I could and put it back together. I did notice that the rubber hose from the carburetor to the breather pipe (I'll take the correct name for it and write it down please) was not in very good shape at all. I could not put it back like it was so I reversed sides so that I could get a good seal on the carburetor side. It's connected to the breather pipe but I'm not sure how well. Could that be an issue as well? I feel like those 2 connections would need to be airtight. Still no luck on getting it started but it did sound like it wanted to more than the previous tries. Thanks for the help.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:05 pm

The tractor will run just fine with no connection between the air cleaner and carburetor. I don't recommend doing that outside the shop, but the bad condition of the hose is not a source of your starting issues.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:11 pm

Not starting could be not enough fuel or way too much fuel or no spark or spark at the wrong time. Or, any combination of those.

Are you using the choke at all? The choke aids in cold weather starting by providing a richer fuel mixture to the engine. You have to be judicious with the choke, or you can easily flood the engine with too much gas.

To further check the fuel flow, there is a drain plug on the bottom of the carburetor. Remove it and check for good fuel flow there. No flow means the carburetor has to come apart for cleaning.

Like others have said it makes no sense to spend $250-$300 on a new carburetor when a $20-$40 rebuild kit and a little sweat equity will fix up yours as good as new. Take pictures as you go so you know how it goes back together.

Bigdog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:47 pm

Remove the rubber hose you mentioned between the air cleaner and the carb. Then, with the switch on, engage the starter and while the starter is cranking the engine over place your hand over the air intake on the carb. There should be enough vacuum to pull your hand snugly against the carb inlet. If there is not enough vacuum, fuel will not be pulled into the combustion chamber. You could have a stuck valve preventing vacuum from being generated.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

rynomartin

Postby rynomartin » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:34 pm

Hi All,

After taking time off from working on my Cub, I went ahead and decided to replace the carburetor. We haven't touched it for about 3 months and it's been under roof in an unheated barn. The last guy who worked on it for me said he felt like it would need a new one as he said some of the internals that couldn't be changed were getting worn out. As I was starting to prep it, I disconnected the hose that connects the carburetor to the air intake (?) because I want to replace that piece. That's when I discovered that there was radiator fluid (green) that drained from the hose connecting the 2. I then checked the oil and the level was way up. I then checked the radiator fluid level and it was way down. I went ahead and drained the oil from the oil pan and sure enough, it's got that milky look to it. I've let the drain plug off and took the oil filter and drain plug from that out for it all to drain completely. So what am I looking at now repair wise? I need to get it fixed as it's my primary tractor during mowing season.
thanks

tst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:47 pm

sounds like a bad head gasket

rynomartin

Postby rynomartin » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:53 pm

How's the difficulty level for that one? I think my brother and I can do it but just curious.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:06 pm

Don't forget the oil filter drain pipe, if it has been run with anti freeze in the oil there will be antifreeze in there too.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:18 pm

[quote="rynomartin"]How's the difficulty level for that one? I think my brother and I can do it but just curious.[/quo

Pretty easy. Big thing is take it slow on the head bolts so you don't break any. If you have a impact wrench set it LOW and hit each bolt then a little more pressure an so on.
You will also need a torque wrench to put head back on. Auto Zone and others have them that you can use for free with a refundable deposit.
Check out the service manuals top of page.

And remember there are NO DUMB questions here, just ask if you don't know.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers