This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

More progress on the 53...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
RogerW
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 50662

More progress on the 53...

Postby RogerW » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:58 pm

I put a spacer on the fan shaft tonight and it lines up good. Also had to space the alternator I had put on to match the fan. Had it running for about 20 minutes, mostly about half throttle. I put a used alternator on it, as it has been converted to 12 volts. I put a small push button switch to activate the alternator, as once it is excited it will charge till I shut the tractor down. The battery is a deep cycle and was down a bit, and man does it take the power when the alternator kicks in! The engine sounds real good. idles slow and smooth. About 5 lb. oil pressure at low idle , but it comes up to 25 just above idle, and shows 30 at higher rpm. I put a thermometer in the radiator neck, and it came right up to just below 200 deg. and stayed there. I think that is normal for this system. I hope to drive it around Saturday or Sunday and get the snowplows mounted and ready .

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Re: More progress on the 53...

Postby Clark Thompson » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:42 pm

If you have a button to excite the alternator then I assume you have a old delco alternator.? If you have a delco 10si one wire it should have a built in regulator and does not need a switch. from what you described your alternator is charging full blast all the time which will either burn the alternator up and or fry the battery. 200 deg is normal for the thermal syphen system
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

RogerW
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 50662

Postby RogerW » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:43 am

I think it is a Mitsubishi, off a Mazda. I have a volt meter on it and it charges at about 14.5 volts. Has an internal regulator.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:06 am

To many unknowns to draw a conclusion.

Alternator maximum amperage will draw significant horsepower from the cub's 13 horsepower engine. Possibly significant enough so that the alternator load is noticeable.

Battery condition and state of discharge is the next issue. Suggest using a battery charger to fully charge the deep cycle battery. This will significantly reduce the time and amps required to charge up the battery using the alternator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”