temporarily ground F terminal to charge 6volt

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower
Circle of Safety: Y

temporarily ground F terminal to charge 6volt

Postby ToddW » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:13 pm

First to admit I'm electrically challenged. Have spent $$$ in new regulator a few years ago on my 1960 cub. after polarizing and checking the wire contacts are clean. the regulator will charge a few seconds after repolarizing then quit. I can get it to charge when I temporarily ground F terminal. was wondering if I put a toggle switch by the dash and ground the F terminal thru the toggle switch when I run the tractor, if I can get by until spring? Do not want to keep putting it on trickle charger again during snow pushing season. just grounding the f terminal when running it every few minutes might also charge it I'm thinking

Bigdog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43113

Re: temporarily ground F terminal to charge 6volt

Postby Bigdog » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:12 pm

If you do that you will run the risk of over-charging the battery. I suggest you go back over your connections and especially the ground connection of the regulator. Have you had the regulator bench tested to assure it is working right?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54515

Postby birddog » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:43 pm

Todd, go to the electrical part in the How To Forum. I have some threads there on checking the charging system and one on adjustments to the regulator. The adjustments probably aren't exactly the correct way, but they have worked well for me.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee

Postby ToddW » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:08 pm

I did have the regulator off today and looked at the points again. the open points were a bit burnt ($75 regulator is 3 years old and was bench tested with my generator when I bought it). took a clean small file and re-dressed the points. When all re-hooked up it charged about a minute then failed again. Then took a temporarily wire from F terminal to a bolt grounding the regulator and it then charges. Logic is telling game the regulator is grounded good because the jump wire is working from that bolt
Mark I will look at the how-to you mentioned an give it a try.
Don't want to buy another regulator right now if I can get by for a few months. Last winter I charged the cub like it was a yuppie electric smart car or something every snowfall and don't want to go that route again.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:35 pm

The normally closed points are on the side where your problem is. The normally open points were working fine. Is the little ground cable on your regulator OK?

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:38 pm

What Jim said, I had to resolder mine years ago. Worked fine ever since.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee

Postby ToddW » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:39 pm

Jim, the grounded wire meaning the copper braided wire on the outside of the regulator?
I will check it closely tomorrow.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:22 pm

ToddW wrote:Jim, the grounded wire meaning the copper braided wire on the outside of the regulator?
I will check it closely tomorrow.

That is it.

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee

Postby ToddW » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:38 am

Thanks you all for helping to trouble shoot the issue. Think it is indeed the closed set of points that is the issue. filed them more and cleaned them. followed some of Birddogs how to and loosened the tension on the spring holding them shut. Ran tractor with regulator cover off and still no charge. jumped the f terminal again and the closed points opened up.
Took off the jump wire and the closed set of points opened and closed with small spark like it should. It is running and charging for now, have no idea why the f terminal jump started it working again. Maybe the looser tension on the points spring is helping it open and close better?

Bus Driver
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bus Driver » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:48 am

After any regulator adjustment, replace the cover and check all the operating factors again. The cover can change the operating characteristics of the regulator.
Luck favors those who are prepared

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee

Postby ToddW » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:22 pm

Even with the cover back on the regulator the ammeter needle now shows a slight charge response even when the work light is turned on.
A bit nervous to put the hood back on-that will unleash the charging gremlin living somewhere in this loboy

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:13 pm

If you loosened a spring that holds those points shut, you have reduced the voltage that they will open at. The effect of the looser spring is to reduce the voltage where the regulator cuts off. As long as the points are shut, the actual tension on the spring shouldn't make any difference on the ability to charge. Your non-charge situation has to be a poor or non-connection through the 2 contacts of those points. Your jump wire caused the points to cycle open/closed and the physical motion probably improved the electrical connection between the two contacts. I suppose the changed spring tension could have had some odd effect on the closed points but it seems unlikely.