This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

NOV. 26, 1984 EVERY CUB OWNER SHOULD KNOW THIS

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

NOV. 26, 1984 EVERY CUB OWNER SHOULD KNOW THIS

Postby Super A » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:26 am

International Harvester announced the sale of the farm equipment division to Tenneco, who already owned Case, 30 years ago yesterday. It was truly a dark day for IH enthusiasts.

From the New York Times, November 26, 1984:

November 26, 1984

BUSINESS PEOPLE

BUSINESS PEOPLE; A Dealer for Harvester Awaits Sale to Tenneco

For weeks Robert P. Corley, an International Harvester Company farm equipment dealer near Decatur in central Illinois, has heard rumors about the impending sale of Harvester's agricultural equipment division to Tenneco Inc.

Mr. Corley now awaits the official announcement of the transaction, expected today. Later this week, he will join other Harvester dealers at company-sponsored meetings in Dallas to learn the terms of the combination.

The 47-year-old equipment dealer, who has been associated with Harvester in various capacities for 25 years, is looking at the marriage with Tenneco's J. I. Case division with some trepidation.

Pointing out that the president of Harvester's farm equipment group moved over to head a similar unit at Tenneco earlier this year, Mr. Corley said, ''My concern is that his blood is Case orange now, while ours is Harvester red.''

''There's got to be some method of maintaining the Harvester identity after the combination,'' Mr. Corley added. ''Some dealers have $2,500 to $7,000 of their own money invested in their International Harvester sign alone.''

Mr. Corley grew up on a farm in Shelby County, Ill., where his father farmed and sold Harvester equipment part-time. After attending Eastern Illinois University, Mr. Corley took his first job with Harvester in 1959, unloading railroad cars. He moved into sales positions with the company in the mid-1960's, until he tired of the travel and decided to settle down with his family.

In 1968, he bought an interest in the Sullivan, Ill., dealership he now owns. After several tough years, Mr. Corley said his business took off in the 1970's.

''We wouldn't be here today if not for those good years in the 70's,'' he said. However, he is now saddled with excess capacity from steady expansion in that period. A building he erected in 1979 to assemble combines has never been used, and interest payments on his $750,000 inventory of farm equipment are eating away at his savings.

Mr. Corley said he probably sold 35 new, large tractors annually 10 years ago, each costing from $16,000 to $18,000. ''This year, maybe I've sold five large tractors, each costing about $35,000,'' he said.

Despite the gloom in the farm economy, Mr. Corley said that if the Government avoids embargoing grain and if interest rates come down two or three points, there might be a resurgence in farm equipment sales.

''We've got to be eternal optimists in this business,'' he said.

CaseIH9.jpg
CaseIH9.jpg (29.5 KiB) Viewed 614 times

ih letter.jpg
ih letter.jpg (164.85 KiB) Viewed 614 times
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: NOV. 26, 1984 EVERY CUB OWNER SHOULD KNOW THIS

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:21 am

Currently International Harvester is part of a Fiat subsidiarity, Case, New Holland, International, INC., stock symbol CNHI. The Fiat company reorganization took place just over a year ago.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:27 am

Reading that letter brought back memories of another "alliance". Nearly 25 years ago GTE and Contel formed an "alliance". GTE spent hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to erase all vestiges of the Contel name and legacy. They even went so far as to hire a company to write new software to allow computers to monitor the Contel switches rather than use what Contel had in place that had been written by one of their employees in his spare time. sure was glad when GTE sold our area to another company, they were one of the worst companies I have ever seen in both the customer service they provided and in the way they treated employees.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:52 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Reading that letter brought back memories of another "alliance". Nearly 25 years ago GTE and Contel formed an "alliance". GTE spent hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to erase all vestiges of the Contel name and legacy. They even went so far as to hire a company to write new software to allow computers to monitor the Contel switches rather than use what Contel had in place that had been written by one of their employees in his spare time. sure was glad when GTE sold our area to another company, they were one of the worst companies I have ever seen in both the customer service they provided and in the way they treated employees.

IMO a similar thing happened after the IH sale. Look at the tractors from the red case tractors built after the merger to the small IH tractors that were kept with new sheet metal--the name says caseIH but there is a case eagle (buzzard) on the steering wheel center. It seemed to me (and I was only a kid at the time) that the case name was being marketed at the expense of IH. It seems like only in the last 8-10 years have the powers that be finally wised up and realized there there is way more market potential to the IH name than case.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:50 am

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=CNHI+Profile

About 3/4 the way down the page is a brief description of the company, CNHI. Notice that IH is only mentioned once is the company description.

As far as which brand, Case or IH is more recognizable, don't know.
I have an excuse. CRS.

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:11 pm

If I am wrong or not, isnt most of the companies now lumped under a big company called AGCO? Or am I thinking of someoother tractor manufacts.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:41 pm

leerenovations wrote:If I am wrong or not, isnt most of the companies now lumped under a big company called AGCO? Or am I thinking of someoother tractor manufacts.

http://www.agcocorp.com/company/history.aspx
History of AGCO, above.

AGCO is a different company from John Deere and Case/New Holland. If you walk the local tractor dealership's lots you will find that they not only carry their name brand tractors but also tractors manufactured in the far east and perhaps Russia.

I don't know how many independent companies manufacture farm tractors, but it is true that there has been a consolidation of tractor manufacturers over the years.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:49 am

Eugene wrote:http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=CNHI+Profile

About 3/4 the way down the page is a brief description of the company, CNHI. Notice that IH is only mentioned once is the company description.

As far as which brand, Case or IH is more recognizable, don't know.

The first big tractor released by caseIH in 1987 was the "Magnum" which if IH had survived would have been called "The New Farmall." They were the 7110, 7120, 7130, and 7140 from 130-195 HP. Basically from the imput shaft going into the rear of the engine to the drawbar they were all IH. (Some witnesses report the IH prototype was tarped up and hauled to Racine after the sale was announced) The sheet metal and rear wheels were case inspired. It had an 18 speed full powershift transmission which was basically the same as the previous 50 series from IH (5088, 5288, 5488) but with clutch packs instead of synchronizers. The current Magnums use the same basic design, just with a LOT more computerization!

The small Doncaster-built IH's---the 84 series--continued to be built, but with case styling. They used the same basic design until the early 2000s, the last few years with a Perkins engine instead of the IH designed engine.

Al

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:21 am

Sad that uopu cant just walk down the street now and check out each companies good features. I was told by the John Deere dealership, that all of their new small tractors are all built by Iseki. He told emm that John Deere only makes the larger tractors and larger equipment. Guess there isnt any money to be made on the smaller tractors.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Return to “Farmall Cub”