This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Moovin on...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Moovin on...

Postby Patbretagne » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:32 am

Just a couple of this week's progress photos,
You can see that the rims have just come back, I've fitted the tyres and...
The story unfolds
Pat

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:16 am

Looking good Pat.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:36 am

Pat: what did you do to those rims,they look nice , everthing looks nice.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:37 am

Looks like you're making good progress Pat. Also it's good to be able to put a face with the name.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:37 am

Pat:

You had those rims galvanaized correct :?: I seem to remember that might have been the plan.

They sure look good :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:11 am

Hey Pat...You're a doin' a GREAT job on that there Cub of your's 8) ! Why it's gonna be sooooo perty your President will want to ride on it through the Arch De Triumph! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Patbretagne » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:44 pm

Rudi wrote:You had those rims galvanaized correct :?: I seem to remember that might have been the plan.
They sure look good :!:

Rudi, c'est vrai. They were badly coroded so they went to the shipyard ar Brest 35KM from us and had to be shot blasted, then they returned to Le Faou right out in the country where there is a large galvanising plant for the west of Brittany and yes they were galvanised. I've seen better jobs --- but, according to the experts there in the shop, the remains of what was found on the inside of the rims was definitely galvanising---soooo--- I decided to go for galvanising, I know that it will lose it's newness, but ok so have I, those rims will last another 49 years and even outlive me.
Thanks guys for the encouragement,
Today it's 33.5°C in the shade (92.3f), Bastille day so nothing's been done, big lunch with friends at Huelgoat pronounced (well-gwat) trip down the lanes on the way back and found an abandoned Dexta in a field and found an old farmer friend who has finally worn his French Fergusson grey tractor out and it looks as if it could come into the collection soon, will keep you posted
Excuse the Non Cub chat
Pat

Colin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Colin » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:53 pm

That looks really good. I like how the rims came out. Keep up the great work. :)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:43 pm

Pat:

Galvanizing was good enough for old Cyrus, it is good enough for me :!: I think they look real sharp and even if they dull a bit over the next few years - so be it.. paint will dull to, and chip etc. Galvanizing is a bit heftier I would think.

I am looking forward to this project of yours.

Also, what is a Dexta and what does it look like :?: Pics would be really nice, and for the Fergie as well.

I am assuming you and Noelle had a great Bastille Day :!: Any excuse to sit with friends, have some wine on a warm day, bask in the sun and eat great food sounds to me like a perfect day :!: My kind anyways :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Painting Progress

Postby Bill V in Md » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:14 pm

Pat, looks great. If I remember correctly, in another post you were leaning toward using no hardner in the finish coat. Was that your final decision? How many finish coats are on in the photo?

By the way, I hope a Frenchman won today's stage in the Tour (just so long as he doesn't take the lead away from Lance). That will give you a little something extra to celebrate on Bastille Day.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:16 pm

Nice pics, I also like the galvanized rims looks sharp the red paint also looks sharp...... I bet your really enjoying the resto project, looks like alot of fun.......

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Re: Painting Progress

Postby Patbretagne » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:11 am

Bill V in MD wrote:Pat, looks great. If I remember correctly, in another post you were leaning toward using no hardner in the finish coat. Was that your final decision? How many finish coats are on in the photo?

By the way, I hope a Frenchman won today's stage in the Tour (just so long as he doesn't take the lead away from Lance). That will give you a little something extra to celebrate on Bastille Day.

Bill, yes hand painting oil based paint "Vapomatic" "Replaces Case IH Red", as they call it, oil based paint without hardner but thinned slightly with real turpentine, not white spirit. On the dismantled parts 3 good coats, putting together the bits then I reckon to give another coat once the engine etc is all assembled just before putting the hood back on. I might, not decided yet, put the starter and dynamo in black, one or two photos i've seen on this wonderful CUB board are finished like that and I find a little contrast is interesting.

The "Tour", yes I think yesterday a Frenchmen won, but the US Post is still wearing yellow!

Of course yesterday was "Off with their heads" day here in France.
Best wishes
Pat

yaume
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby yaume » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:53 am

Here is a link to the dexta (copy of many grey tractors)

http://www.tractordata.co.uk/fordson_to_1964/pages/fordson_dexta/

(Link fixed. Jim Becker)
((thanks a lot Jim))
Last edited by yaume on Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
what makes my cub very rare is that it's the only one I've ever owned.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:11 am

Pat, your method of painting (paint, assemble, then final coat) is what I prefer when I am able to work. On my cub , the starter, generator, and fan shroud are all black. Makes a nice contrast.

Cub-Bud gets the credit for this job. He put my cub (Missy) bck together and painted it when I started having health problems. As a note, the paint looks a lot better in person than in this picture.

If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Patbretagne » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:37 pm

John, Thanks for the reply, your CUB sure looks good in picture, if you say it's better in the flesh, then it must be good!!
Hey and it seems that you've borrowed my grader blade, seriously that's just what I need, cant seem to find them over here, Had a thing going with someone on the board but he has decided to keep his, sensible man!
Best wishes, and keep healthy, don't overdo it,
Pat

Return to “Farmall Cub”