This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

steering

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
HART
10+ Years
10+ Years

steering

Postby HART » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:58 pm

52' CUB turns pretty hard, always has , but maybe at 87 yrs of age now [my age, not tractors] it just seems harder to steer. The steering arms and other parts all look good and I keep grease in and air in tires. What other things might be wrong?

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: steering

Postby SundaySailor » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:04 pm

DHart,

If you can get someone to help you, jack up the front end of the tractor up just enough for the front tires to clear the ground on both sides. Put blocking stands under the front axle for safety.

Of course make sure the tractor is off, and preferably in gear.

Check the steering from the drivers seat as to tightness by steering from one side to the other - lock to lock as they say.

This should give you some idea of how things really are without the additional weight on the tires.

If it still feels tight, then go to the front of the tractor and start moving the tie rods on each side of the tractor and making note of movement.

Binding? Which side? Where does it appear to bind?

Once those questions are answered, then either grease or try to loosen up each section until it frees up the way you like it to be.

Mine still feels like it has power steering on it, and of course it doesn't.
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Is there any play in the steering wheel? Do as SundaySailor recommends. You also will want to check the play in the front steering arm with the tie rods removed. It is possible that somebody overtightened the castle nut that holds that arm onto the bottom of the steering output shaft.
Jim

Circle of Safety

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:30 pm

Is there gear oil, in the steering box, or rusty water?
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:57 pm

If you disconnect the steering arm from the tie rods you can tell if the binding is in the steering gear assembly or in the axle assembly. Turn each wheel independently to see if there is any binding in the steering knuckles. Sometimes a worn bushing on a steering knuckle will cause binding with the weight of the tractor on the wheels. If jacking the front of the tractor up relieves the stiffness check each knuckle assembly for binding.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:41 pm

Have you been greasing the vertical spindles? Many of them have the fittings missing and owners do not realize they are supposed to be greased. If you have been greasing them, jack the front up and pump grease in till you see it coming out around the bottom of each spindle. At one of the Cub Fests we worked on one that the left front spindle was very hard to turn, so we jacked it up, pumped it full of grease, and slid a piece of 2x6 between the wheel and spindle and wlaked back and forth with it several times to get the grease distributed, which made the steering much easier.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:44 pm

Have you checked the pressure in the front tires? If they are low, it will increase steering effort.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:39 pm

To add to this, what wrench(s) are you folks using to tighten up the castle nut for the steering? I've tried a box end and a socket and ratchet with extension. Neither would make it under the tractor at the right angle to tighten the castle nut with.

I did have a little better luck with an open end wrench, but still not enough bite on the nut to make a great big difference. Still need that little extra bit so I can get the cotter pin back in. :roll:
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:49 pm

I use an open end wrench, and have it jacked up so I can turn the nut back and forth as needed, or if not jacked up turn the steering wheel as needed to get the wrench on. If the key will not go in without a hard turn, back it up to the next one. If you get that nut too tight it is hard to steer. I do not remember for sure, but it seems there are 2 sets of holes ( one set at 90 degrees from the other) in the threads plus the six on the shaft to give you pretty small increments.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:00 pm

I tap it with a hammer and brass punch. Doesn't usually need to be turned much, and it's hard to get a wrench to it.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:09 pm

My castle nut is too tight. I've loosened it, but the bearing is still too tight. I've been driving it for a year like that, and it won't loosen. Any suggestions to get it looser.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:32 pm

twotone wrote:My castle nut is too tight. I've loosened it, but the bearing is still too tight. I've been driving it for a year like that, and it won't loosen. Any suggestions to get it looser.
Did you loosen the clamp bolt and rock steering back and forth while the castle nut was loose.

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:56 am

I haven't tried that John, but I will now.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:21 am

Thanks for the tips on tightening the castle nut. That does help. I was wondering if IH had made some sort of miracle wrench for getting in that tight space.

Guess it's a matter of using your head - or in my case skinned knuckles to get the job done. :lol:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:24 am

SundaySailor wrote:Guess it's a matter of using your head -
I tried using my head, but found a hammer did less damage.